Monday, August 18, 2008

packing up...

Before I get too overwhelmed with packing, I thought I better take a minute to decompress. Last week was incredible for many reasons, and worth writing about.

First, I had to say my first goodbye to Pastor Bob & Beth Schulze but not because I'm moving. Bob accepted a call to Lakeville, so Kevin and I drove down for his installation. It was a beautiful celebration, but also very bitter sweet. Both PB & B have been HUGE factors in my decision to begin seminary, and have supported me from the start.

Second, I spent the entire week with my nieces Presley (4) and Madison (8 months). We went swimming, to the park, watched movies, roasted s'mores, jumped on the trampoline, and yes, even napped together! On Friday, my dear friend Karishma Kamath drove down from Mankato to go to the pool and spend some time with me and the girls. Mikaela & Kristen Dierks invited us over for some homemade raspberry and peach icecream: and of course a mini photo shoot for old times sake!

Third, I got to preach my first sermon EVER for a live (at least I hope they all were by the end) congregation! First Lutheran Church in Brookings, SD graciously welcomed me to the pulpit, and even sponsored a "crumby" breakfast with proceeds going to help both myself and a fellow seminarian. The breakfast raised over $4,500! That money will definitely 'pass go' and go directly toward a student loan! What a generous bunch! Thank you all! The sermon: I can honestly say I've never been so nervous in my life. Sunday morning from 6-9 was seriously the longest 3 hours of my life! My stomach still hasn't recovered from it! The Holy Spirit was at work--and by the time I stepped up for my sermon, I wasn't nervous at all! I preached on Matthew 15: 21-28. I never thought my first sermon would include a photo of Dora the Explorer, and poll to see who had Dora underwear on, and even a Spanish speaking Fred Flinstone. I ended the sermon with the song "Crumbs from your table" by U2. It was especially memorable for my family to see me in this new role: Presley got her first taste of Holy Communion, and was so excited that "Auntie" shared some bread with her! See the flowers in front of the pulpit? I walked up to place my manuscript on the pulpit, and there was a note there that said: "Amber, the altar flowers were given in honor of you today from--Kevin!" Sending his love since he couldn't be there. What a guy!! I was so thankful that my sister Holly, Jason, the girls, and Karishma were there to support me on such an exciting day!

Well, I'm back in the cities after 5 hours in the car yesterday! It's sad to know my friends are one by one leaving for their internship sites. My thoughts and prayers are with them as they begin their new journey! Time to get back to packing! T-6 days until departure!

No comments: