Sunday, September 14, 2008

drama + dance = DRANCE!

Well, for those of you who have been sitting by your computers for the last 24 hours waiting on my surfing report: you wasted your time. Though, yesterday was my best overall surfing session, I have yet to stand up on the board. I did go "over the falls" on one wave and rode it all the way in to the shore---totally awesome! I saw a few more dolphins. My wetsuit was by far the cutest one out there. But, I didn't stand up. Hopefully next time!

It was another action-packed Sunday. Frankie, Stacy, Mark, Stephanie, and I did a "drance" to the song "You are Loved" by David Upton. I started singing from within the congregation. It may've startled a few folks sitting around me when I stood up and began singing and gesturing! I love surprises! The song tells the story of a man who is trying to get by on his own, a man who wants his troubles to unwind, but without the help of anyone else, including God. Mark played the man so well. The rest of us were there to show him that Christ loves him, and shows love through other people. We are in this together. It was awesome to lift Mark up off the ground, and then join hands in Christian love to show him that God has a plan for him, and for the rest of us too. Here's the chorus, just so you can get an idea:

You are loved by the one who died
It don’t matter where you came from, he’s right here by your side
Lift up your head
Reach out your hand
And stop chasing what’s been keeping you from the life that he has planned for you

My liturgical dance dream came true today. I've been trying to find a way to use movement and song in worship. Based on the feedback I heard, it worked well. YAY! Ellen, (Steph's mom) taped the whole thing. I'll put a link up here as soon as I get it!

After singing, I had to run and get my alb on in the first service, and hurry back in time for communion. I'm not gonna lie, I was feeling quite frazzled. The service is still so unfamiliar to me, so to have to lead some portions of it, while rushing around trying to get my microphone on and off, left me feeling nervous and truly scared. I hope this becomes easier as time goes on.

The staff headed out for lunch today at Snax. I ate a buffalo burger in Kevin's honor. Then I headed home for a much needed 2 hour nap. As usual, it's Sunday night and I am wiped. Oh, I know a few of you have had trouble leaving comments on these posts. I changed the setting so anyone can now! Comment away! Nighty Night!

6 comments:

Mollie said...

I am so impressed with you Amber.. and may I say even jealous.. you get to perform dances and songs.. like a musical! WOW! SO COOL! I am so impressed with you! Glad to hear all your achievements. You are taking such strides each day of your internship! I am just amazed! CONGRATS! I know soon you will be standing up on that board... you're never gonna want to come back to the drab MN.....

Unknown said...

looks like a success lady! Sounds like an awesome message too! Thanks for the birthday wish - hard to believe we're 5 years from 30....hope you're having a good start to your week! talk to ya soon!

dad said...

Amber the right wave hasn't come in yet. It will happen and when it does you will know.
Great job on the DRANCE!!!!
Love Dad

Auntie Dana said...

From the keyboard of the spouse of a VIATFSM (Very Important Amber Task Force Surfing Mentor):

Wow! Powerful! Moving! Awesome! Terrific! Way better than Great! The Drance was a key element in worship yesterday. Standing at the back of the "Worship Center" (aka: Sanctuary) with tears in my eyes may have slightly blurred the very end, but the message I heard and saw was way beyond just a gorgeous and extremely talented singer or an intern and company's beautiful drama. We are a community of believers, called to work together to be "Christ with skin on."

Way to go, Amber! BTW, I see that wave just beyond the horizon...

hannahgjohnson said...

You're unbelievable...(I just sang that...can you tell)?

Keep changing the world.

love HGJ

Anonymous said...

Amber, it was awesome working with you on the drance (i love that term!). you have been such a breath of fresh air at LCGS,,,,we LOVE you. I find myself thinking, "why does she have to leave". Speaking of that, my husband didn't quite understand that you would have to leave and was very bummed when I explained that you were on loan from your family, school and loved ones back home. I hope we can do some more "moves" together. Love ,
Stacy