Thursday, September 18, 2008

Slack-line...not Slack-er!

September is Pastoral Care Month! (ok, not officially, but it certainly seems like it!)

Gloria and I (being fellow evangelists) hit the ground running this morning and went to the homes of 3 women who are either recovering from surgery or shut-in. It was fun to pal around with Gloria and see her personal pastoral care style (not to mention her good time management as we had to stay on schedule). I felt so blessed by the women who welcomed us into their homes. One woman shared some yummy Hawaiian tea, and others shared big hugs and prayers. Sitting in the passenger seat gave me the chance to look around and mentally mark all the cute shops and restaurants I hope to get to before I leave.

It's been such an honor to be invited to the lives of many women this week. I can see what an impact having a female pastor on staff can have, as it creates a level of comfortability that is hard to match in a female/male situation. I absolutely loved CPE, so it's no surprise to me that I actually enjoy pastoral care visits.

Most of my afternoon was spent organizing a young adult picnic that is set to happen the first Saturday in October. I'm going to get out the slack-line and some hotdogs and pray that some 18-25 year olds show up. There's a huge need for young adult ministry at Good Shepherd, and I really feel God is pushing me to build that program up while I am here. I am thinking of doing my overall internship project on it and calling it Electronic Evangelism while focusing on how to get young people involved through the use of tools like facebook, myspace, craigslist, and other friend search engines.

Well, lastly, what can I say? The fleas still love me. Incase you don't believe me as to how bad they are, I thought I would show you a picture. Seriously, if anyone has an idea on how to beat these buggers (no pun intended), please let me know!

1 comment:

Auntie Dana said...

Yup,Gloria is amazing! She has taught many of our pastors the ropes. Can't wait to see both of you on the "slack-line" and you can bet I'll have my camera ready. If you're really sweet to her, she will help prepare you for the next Miss America contest, too!

Your insight into the impact of a female pastor is right on. You've captured some motherly-type hearts already, mine included. Everyone that I've spoken to thinks you're doing a fantastic job. And it's still only the first month! You are blessed to be a blessing...

ps: Once you finish planning the young adult picnic you will receive one of two all expenses paid trips to either the Getty or back to Compton... ;) This is a limited time offer due to scheduled surgery. Your trip must be completed before the Tecate mini-mission trip in mid-October. Call 365.3483 to claim your prize!