Sunday, April 19, 2009

conFIRMing faith

Before leaving for the retreat, I was shocked to watch Bob walk up to me in the parking lot and tell me he had just eaten lunch with Peder Eide. WHAT?! I love Peder Eide. He was less than 50 feet away from me, and I didn't even know it. So, to make up for his lack of cool-supervisorness, he took me up to his office and called Peder. I got to talk to him on the phone!!! He's a super talented Christian Artist who I met in Brookings when he did a concert there. What a thrill to talk with him again on the phone! Ok, enough groupie talk.

What a wonderful experience to go and be part of the confirmation retreat this weekend in Idyllwild, CA. On our way out we stopped at a Wal-mart where the 8 students were broken into two teams. I took one batch and Greg took the other. Our job was to go on a scavenger photo hunt while buying groceries for our meals that we'd prepare. Oh joy. Trying to shop with 8 grabby kids all while trying to stay under our $60 was a challenge. I was constantly saying, "Check the price, we need to get the most for our money." When they weren't looking, I'd put back the name brand bacon and exchange it for one $1.5o cheaper. We had all we needed for our meals. We chose to make spaghetti, french toast, eggs, chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream (guess who influenced this decision?), and beverages. When we went up to pay our total was only $35!! So, we went back and spent $20 on ice cream and dessert. Our scavenger hunt was to read passages out of Proverbs and reenact them for a photo. Here's our rendition of Proverbs 26:11 "As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool returns to his folly." We only got about 15 nasty looks while messing around in Wal-mart. I'm sure youth ministers get that all the time!

Finally, a 6,000 foot climb up and we arrived at our destination. A wonderful little cabin, newly remodeled, which sat on the edge of a babbling brook, and deep in the woods on a mountain in CA. I decided it would be a wonderful place to retire. The most adorable little town square with every artsy-fartsy shop you can imagine. Mine and Hannah's yarn store would fit in perfectly there!

How quickly I'd forgotten what it was like to be in middle school. Clothing, questions, boys, shopping, cheerleading, energy, sports, prank calls, and stench. Without parents around, I'm convinced middle schoolers would never shower! Regardless of their smell, each one of them was so unique and precious in the questions they asked, and concerns they voiced about faith. This retreat provides them a place to ask as many questions as they need. They can choose not to confirm their faith, and that's ok. No parent can make a child do it. Authentic choices rock.

Even though my job was to be a leader, most of my time was spent learning. Even 8th graders have something to teach me. One girl taught us how to make duct tape wallets. Of course my anal/perfectionist tendencies got a little out of hand as I spent an hour carefully cutting and making it, but it turned out sweet. My teacher told me it was good enough to sell. How exciting! Of course we had to make face masks out of all the wasted duct tape. We explored one afternoon and walked through the creek in freezing water, climbed on huge rocks, painted fingernails (the nail pens were a hit), lounged around, and ate. Our general sessions consisted of teachings on the triangle (in, up, and out), I taught in. Try teaching middle schoolers that church is important, and that being surrounded by other believers is critical to their spiritual health. They really seemed to get it. The thing they actually heard: any personal story. Knowing a mistake I made, what I've done in life, and how it helped or hurt me got their attention like no other. Good thing I'm an evangelist (aka story teller), it comes naturally! It blew my mind to hear them talking about the struggles they have with friends. In 8th grade, doing drugs, having sex, cutting themselves, drinking. I never dealt with stuff like that in middle school.

Almost every genre of kid was represented at this retreat: the shy one who only spoke when no one else was around. The kid who hated everything about her parents. The obnoxious kid who always needed attention. The popular one who is already battling with peer pressure, dating, and issues of sex. The question asker. The kid who is blessed with parents who are teaching him to be respectful and hard working.

As I sit here writing this after a long day of travel and kids, my stomach is turning. Too dang much sugar and junk food. Our Mexico mission dinner tonight was complete with strawberry shortcake and chocolate krispie treats. NO MORE SUGAR! I'm heading to bed. Two more days until home.

A few of my favorite quotes from the weekend:

-"I know I look erotic in my glow in the dark footie pajamas." Spoken by an 8th grade young man.
-"What's that thing in the front?" Wondering what a hay bail was when I showed them a picture of a wheat field. I'm from the country and I like it that way.
-"Danielle, can you polish off the ice cream?" She replies, "I will, and I ask God to help me."

1 comment:

LP said...

I want to be the "parent who is teaching her kid to be respectful and hard working". Sometimes I think I am, then other times I think I fail. Your blog was refreshing and reassuring to me at the same time. After coming off a trip with 15 middle schoolers myself, I thought I was loosing my mind, or that "they" are just crazy kids(mine included). But reading about your weekend, I am reminded they are just teenagers. I am sure I was the same way at that age. It is just my prayer that all of them continue to put God first. Thanks for sharing about your weekend!