Friday, April 10, 2009

remembrance

My fingernails are officially black again for this Good Friday. Bob and Greg put me on the welcome and theme intro and said, "No happy hamster dance." At the 12 o'clock service, it went well. I can be serious and somber, but would much rather be energized and happy. It was a moving service as we read through and visually watched the Biblical stations of the cross and touched the crown of thorns.

Today was just down in general. I went along with Bob to a memorial service on the beach for a 16 year old boy who died last year when he got hit while crossing the street. Family and friends gathered at Hermosa Beach to sing songs, say a few words, Bob spoke, to pray, release balloons with notes tied to them, and then "paddle out." It's an old Hawaiian tradition where surfers paddle out on their boards beyond the breaking point. They carry flowers with them and gather in a circle. Each person says something about the person who died and then throws their flower into the center of the circle. It was incredibly moving to see these young people say such meaningful things about his life and what it means to them now. Once we were done, we all tried riding a wave in, though they were small and breaking on the shore. No pressure when fifty people are standing on the shore watching you. Oh well, it didn't matter. It was meaningful and I felt blessed to be a part of it.

While we were in the water, Bob looked at his watch and said to me, "It's 6:06!" We had worship at 7. So, we paddled in for our wave and got out as fast as we could. My hair was wet, I was in a wetsuit, and we had a 2 block walk back to the van. We took off our suits as fast as we could and pulled out cosmetic bags to quickly get ready. This was a high lite moment of internship. My supervisor and I getting ready for worship in the van! I had to laugh. Bob drove, so I stuck my head out the window to try and dry my hair as much as possible. We arrived at church at 6:35 and it was go time. One lady saw me running toward the office in my swimsuit and beach towel. BUSTED! 15 minutes to get dressed, dry my hair, find my mic pack and be in the prayer chapel. I did it and beat Bob! The 7:00 service was incredibly meaningful as well, but I'm ready for Easter! Bring on the Resurrection!

No comments: