Thursday, April 9, 2009

picturing failure

It's a good thing the Holy Spirit is present during worship. Especially when I'm preaching. After worship tonight I felt like crying. My sermons have gotten better and better as internship continues, but tonight I feel like it hit rock bottom. I'm not sure if the short preparation time caught up with me, or if I just sucked it up. Standing behind the pulpit, I was agitated. Not sure if this happens to you ever, but little things were getting to me. First, the air conditioning was on, so it was blowing freezing cold air directly at me. The wind was blowing my hair all over and my papers were shuffling in the wind. I was getting frustrated. Then, I bobbled a few lines. More frustrated. I wore a big gaudy ring and kept consciously fidgeting with it. More frustrated. By the time I sat down I could only thank God it was over. The best part: opening the sermon by taking pictures of the congregation as a snapshot to remember them by. I went on to tie that into Jesus creating a snapshot for us in the Lord's Supper that we are to remember him by. We went on to celebrate Holy Communion by eating bread from within a trough cross and dipping it into chalices at the points on the cross where Jesus' wounds were. It was very meaningful.When worship was over, Bob directed me to the 'preacher door' where I had to stand and greet people. For once, I didn't want to do it. Amazingly, people walked through and raved about the sermon. What in the sam?? Seriously? It didn't make any sense. I guess the Holy Spirit worked something tonight, and this is proof. Because without her, I probably would've gotten pummeled.

No comments: