Thursday, July 23, 2009

final days

Monday-Wednesday we had the privilege of going from site to site checking in on the kids. Clint insisted that we take his car and spend the day together. We drove up Dotson Pass and saw some great views of the city, the trees, and other unique scenes. The road lead us into historic Wallace Idaho. It would be such a perfect place to open up a studio. Old buildings, trolley rides, texture, color, and history. We hopped on the 90 and drove to Coeur d’ Alene. We drove through the city on our way from Spokane to camp, but wanted to get a closer look at Lake Coeur d’ Alene. We found a place to park, walked through a awesome little indoor mall with unique shops. I found an awesome bridal shop with the most unique dresses yet. Kevin patiently waited in the hallway while I tried a few on. Definitely some unique stuff. But it just wasn’t the same trying them on without family and friends along.

Coeur d’ Alene has a main drag with more awesome shops. We found a glass bead store where you could pick out your stone and ribbon to make a necklace. I love getting a piece of jewelry when I travel. A picnic lunch overlooking the lake, and we headed back to camp to be part of rec time.

Along the way is a wonderful set of rocks where you can choose from 3 levels of rock to jump off of into the river. The first year I went, I jumped off the 20 foot one. Last year we all jumped off the 10 foot one and just about died because of the 45 degree water. After seeing tons of people jump off the highest 30 foot rock, I figured it had to be warm and safe enough to do it, so Kevin and I stopped so I’d have a chance to say I jumped off them all. I’d love to say I walked right up and jumped off no problem, but that’d be a lie. It was scary. It was déjà vu from the time I bungee jumped. I got up there and froze. Looking down 30 feet into a slowly moving river was terrifying. My legs started shaking. Kevin was standing by with the camera and I kept on saying, “Ok, you ready? One…I can’t do it I can't do it!” Eventually I just looked straight out and did it. Falling for three seconds, losing my breath and trying to catch a quick one before hitting the water is not my idea of fun. I’m glad I did it. I wanted to do all three, and felt great to check that off my bucket list. I managed to cut my leg open somewhere along the way, so we left to go get a napkin to clean up the blood dripping down the back of my leg. I still have a scar from the time I tried skim boarding in CA and scraped my leg, so why not get another wound to remember a trip by?

We made it back to camp in time to get our lesson ready for the night and climb the rock wall. Last year when I was about 15 pounds heavier, I tried climbing the harder side of the rock (which I had made it up 3 years earlier), but couldn’t make it. For the last year I had been dying to get back and prove I could do it. I’m super happy to announce that in less than 8 minutes I was up the hard side of the wall!! WOO-HOO! I knew if I took my time, my hands would get tired and it’d only get harder. So, I just went as fast as I could and made it!

Our final night of teaching was awesome. The kids really did a great job of participating, talking in groups, and interacting with us as speakers. The restoration of this week is evident and we’re thrilled we played a small part in it. Kevin taught them the loon call. We prayed with all of them, helped them understand what it means to be called, and got to share some personal stories to reinforce it all.

Psalm 80: “Restore us, O God. Make your face shine upon us that we may be saved.

It’s been fun teaching some more experiential prayer styles at campfire. We taught the refrain of Psalm 80 and have used it all week. They have it memorized, so its awesome to be able to pray all together (without media help and Bibles).

No comments: