Friday, July 24, 2009

home again

Our final morning at Shoshone. Pretty bitter sweet. This was my third trip to Shoshone in six years, and what an honor it was to be back. A few groups left too early this morning for us to say farewell, but about eighty of them were still there for their final “first word” of the trip. Kevin had been dying to play guitar and lead a worship song, so he borrowed Clint’s guitar and we had a blast teaching sign language and beefing up a favorite. We sang “Light of the World.” When the song started, we were standing on a picnic table in the shade. By the final verse of the song as we were singing “shine, shine, shine where you are…” the sun rose above the tree and casted a glow on the group. God is so great at reminding us of God’s presence among us.

Eric told us a story about a man who when trying to discern what God wanted him to do with his life tried making an agreement with God. While he was on a camping trip, he said, “God, if I see a bear this weekend, then I’ll be a pastor!” (He really wanted to be one, so he had his heart set on seeing one). The people he was camping with saw a mama bear and her baby close to camp and ran back to tell the man. When he went to see the bear for himself (and secure his hope that God wanted him to be a pastor), they had left. Within minutes, he could see they had been there, but never actually saw them. So he didn’t become a pastor.

When I heard that story on the way to camp, I tried making a similar agreement with God. I said, “God, if I see a moose this week, then I’ll be a pastor.” As you know, from reading my posts this week, I’ve seen SEVEN moose. Four in one day. Ok God, I get the picture. Thanks for the exclamation point on that one. I keep hearing the echo of Pastor Bob's statement to me: "Amber, when are you going to finally stop questioning your call?" Got it.

4 comments:

Evelyn said...

What a awesome, fun and affirming experience Kevin & you shared in Idaho. Who better to share your gifts with than your equally gifted partner, what a great team you two make! How rewarding it must be reach so many young Christian hearts. BTW, I especially loved the story about the SEVEN moose, it was a definite God-incidence :o).

Auntie Dana said...

An answered fleece...Amen and amen!

Kristi Kuhl said...

Shoshone how I love thee...good memories and great faith stepping stones.

Mike Traphagen said...

Loved reading about your time at Shoshone. Brings back alot of great memories from last summer. How much fun it would have been to be there again with you and Kevin! We're certain that everyone at Shoshone was blessed by your presence that week. Great pictures, too.