Friday, July 31, 2009

30 years of Kevin

The lying is over. Probably not a good thing, but I'm actually really good at it. I had Kevin going for over a month about his 30th birthday celebration and tonight all the preparations came to an end as we partied with friends. Here's how the last two days went:

Thursday: Kevin thought I was babysitting in Worthington. I was actually driving up to the cities to complete some last minute party details and move a few boxes into my new room in Stub Hall. That night I went over to Andrea's house where she helped me make 50 cupcakes for the party. I was there for over 3 hours. Sharing stories, talking wedding details, and decorating them all super cute! Andrea is such a wonderful blessing to me. The more reliable, energetic, and caring person I know! When we were halfway through the baking, I called Kevin and said I was on my way up to see him and that I probably wouldn't get there until 1:00 a.m. He said he'd wait up. When we finished with the cupcakes, I headed down to the Bergeson's to whip up a salad and went to Stub for a while to kill some time. I made it to his house just before 1:00. He kept saying, "thank you so much for driving all the way up here!" Yeah, sure Kev! Anything for you! :)

BIRTHDAY morning! I signed Kevin up for senior citizen benefits at all the local restaurants. I tried cooking breakfast for him. The sausage got fried and were as hard as bricks. He enjoyed the eggs and french toast. I need to take some cooking lessons.

We had lunch with Kevin's parents and his relative Anders from Sweden. Anders brought Kevin a Swedish Bible and flag for his birthday present, so I wrapped it (the flag, not Bible) around myself and pretended to win gold in the Olympics for Sweden. It was quite fun! Kevin asked Lynda what their plan for the day was, and Lynda just about blew our cover. She's not as good of a liar as I am. I told Kevin I thought she was bummed that she wasn't invited to the "friend party" later and that was why she was acting unusual. It worked.

Kevin knew that I was taking him out for supper with some friends. In his presence I called my sister to make a "reservation" for 12. He seemed a little bummed that I hadn't gotten more people together for it. We spent the afternoon running a few errands and then got ready for the party.

At 6:00 I got him in the car, told him I'd drive, and then when he sat down, told him I had to put a blindfold on him so he wouldn't know where we were going. I drove him 30 miles and he couldn't see a thing. It was hilarious. I texted my sister the entire drive (it's not illegal to text in MN so don't even go there), to let her know how far away we were. When I drove past the Bergeson's I could see a bunch of cars, and a few people standing on the hill in their backyard keeping a lookout for us. I parked him across the street so he wouldn't recognize the turning, then got him out and began walking him toward the party. Presley was standing on the hill waving her arm off, and Holly kept telling her not to say a word. I handed my camera off to my dad at one point. Kevin didn't even realize it. When we climbed the hill, I got the first glimpse of about 40-50 people standing in the backyard ready to surprise him. I said, "Kev, I know you really wanted to go to Como Park for your birthday, so..." I took the blindfold off, and everyone shouted "SURPRISE!" He was shocked. He kept on saying, "NO WAY!" Friends from every walk of life. Childhood, college, seminary, church, and lots of family! As the night went on, many more people showed up to wish him a happy birthday. Pastor Bob and Beth were there, Karishma and her parents Gopee and Smita. People drove from all over to celebrate with him. And it was a great night. Food, cupcakes, kids, stories.

Thank you so much to everyone who kept this whole thing a secret! I'm glad it's finally over. I couldn't keep up with all the lying and pretending. It was a great day, and Kevin felt truly blessed that you all were there!

3 comments:

Linda said...

What a fun day! Now you two are even - him with the surprise engagement - you with the surprise 30th! Wish we could have been there to join you.

tjackson80 said...

actually, it is. sorry.
http://www.mndaily.com/2008/07/30/new-law-bans-text-messaging-while-driving

i'll have to confiscate your camera :P

Auntie Dana said...

Who's cuter...Presley with that adorable twinkle in her eyes or Amber with the big twinkle on her ring finger?

BTW, Happy 30th Bday, Kevin! Looks like a great party and a lovely surprise!