Sunday, July 19, 2009

Shoshone Base Camp!

I wish I could say I’m a fan of flying. I used to be. All of a sudden now I’ve become a freaked out flyer. It’s really just the take off that bothers me. Speeding down the runway, not a problem. Once we become air born, the noises start, the shaking begins, tilting, tipping, shaking. Definitely not settling. Did they forget to check something? Is the wheel broken? We took a little prop job from Seattle to Spokane this afternoon. It had propellers on the outside of the plane. Hello 1950! When we took off, the dropouts were so frequent, the lady in front of me angrily said, “What is he doing?” Definite thanks to God for our safety on that plane ride.

Up high, no shaking, no worries. Just a glass of iced orange juice. Making our way down to the ground, it comes back. I usually watch out the window and plan, ‘Each second that passes gives us that much better a chance to survive if we have to jump out of the plane.’ Maybe I should load up on sleeping meds or something before our trip home.

We got off the plane in Spokane and realized we had no idea if someone was picking us up, if we were to get a rental, or what? We went to get our luggage and were met by a Shoshone shirted, khaki wearing, hiking booted man named Eric who was ready to take us to camp! We rode an hour and a half in a single cab pickup truck. The bed was filled with chainsaws and mattresses. It was awesome.

We pulled up to camp and both Kevin and I said, “WOW!” at the sight of 120 people sitting on the grass awaiting our arrival. They clapped and cheered until we ran over to hop on a picnic table and say hello! This is going to be a great week! Fellow Minnesotans from Jacob’s Well in Minneapolis, folks from Washington, Colorado, and Oregon too! We moved our things in to our rooms. We each had 6 beds in a room that only one person was staying in. Well...lots of room to put my stuff I guess!

Idaho Servant Adventures at Shoshone Base Camp. Let the fun begin!

3 comments:

LisaP said...

Never been to Idaho. What beautiful photo. I look forward to reading more. Did you lighten your hair? Is that a blonde streak? Rachel noticed and wanted me to ask :)

tjackson80 said...

you and sarah should talk about your perceptions on flying ... i dont think she's a big fan of it either.

Auntie Dana said...

Hope the return flight was a bit more stable. What a great "welcome to camp" for you and Kevin...God's amazing pastors in action!