Sunday, March 22, 2009

amber angle

I got to help with my first baptism this morning. I didn't actually baptize the child, but I did get to light the candle and read the Matthew 5 Jesus light shining thingy verse, and then prayed for the child. It was exciting! There was a family member snapping flash photographs of the whole thing, and a few people video taping. I forgot how big of a deal this is for families. As I prayed, I was thinking, "Oh gosh, don't say something stupid. They're taping it." Sometimes when I lead prayer extemporaneously the words don't come out as poetic as I'd like them to. I did my best and was thrilled to be part of such a special day for that family.

The Focus Finders and I survived the brutal wind today and had a blast at Abalone Cove. My face is so incredibly chapped from snowboarding, that this really just added insult to injury. I wore a hat and glasses to try to help, but I'm afraid the bucking wind still got to me. Standing there in 25-30 mph winds, trying to hold a camera steady, and not fall into the tide pools was a trip! This may have been one of the best FF events so far. There's just so much to take photos of. I saw the ocean today like I've never seen it. Whitecaps for as far as the eye could see. It was incredible. The shoreline looked like a blizzard as hundreds of waves were breaking onto the beach at the same time.

We found a good amount of starfish, sea cucumbers, crabs, abalone, and even a glimpse of a purple octopus. When it was pointed out to me, I shouted to the rest of the group, "OCTOPUS!" and they all came running over the rocks as fast as they could. Just about broke their legs getting there, but a few managed to catch a glimpse of one arm before it got away from us. I didn't bring a tripod down, so borrowed Ed's tripod as we set up and took our group photo on the rocks. His tripod is about 3 pounds lighter than mine. The timer was set, I ran to get in the picture, and all of a sudden a strong gust of wind came and started tipping my camera over. I could see it going, so I began running as fast as possible, but didn't catch it. It took a nose dive into the sand. The best part (if there can be a good part with a camera falling) was that because it was set on the timer, it took a picture when the timer went off. This shows you how much I love my camera and how much my camera loves me. 3/4 sand, 1/4 me running to save it. The 'Amber angle,' and my desperate attempt to rescue it. It fell onto the sand, so luckily, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. But I learned my lesson about using my own tripod verses one that's not as heavy.

Scott Kebschull and his wife Laura invited us over to their house to eat snacks and view the photos on a huge television. It was so fun to see what others saw at the cove and ooh and ahh at the compositions. Of course, I got poked fun at for my 'Amber angle' on things. I don't like photos to be perfectly parallel to the ground, and others find amusement in that. My personal flavor, I guess. I love this group of people. We all find such joy in seeking the greatest beauty of God's creation and are amazed at the marvel each person finds.

All the photography today made think about when Jesus comes back. Can you imagine what the paparazzi will be like on that day? I wonder if I'll have my camera handy. Do you think Jesus will be signing autographs and posing for pictures? There probably won't be time for pictures, he'll be too busy welcoming people into the greatest life they'll ever experience.

No comments: