Saturday, March 28, 2009

children galore!

Eggs, eggs, and more eggs. The Easter Egg-Extravaganza was a huge success today! Over 350 kids along with their parents flooded the campus of Good Shepherd for a delicious pancake breakfast, petting zoo, bounce houses, craft room, raffle prizes, story time, and of course, an egg hunt. This is one of three outreach events held at GS each year, along with the Costume Carnival at Halloween, and Santa's workshop at Christmas. This was the biggest of them all.

Ellen, Lisa, and I led singing with actions at the start of the show. I tell you what, Father Abraham can take it out of you when you do it like a monkey on steroids. Wow. We were also asked to lead the skit/story time, so we used the jelly bean prayer as a basis for our skit. We dressed up as kids walking home from school when we make a quick trip into the "I want more Candy store!" None of us brought money, so we were forced to just look around until Ellen spots a free sample jar full of jelly beans. We each proceeded to pull our our favorite colors and explain why we like them. Then we quizzed the kids at the end to see if they remembered which color represented what. All the kids got Easter eggs with each 6 jelly beans on their way out. We tried to keep it light and fun. Of course, the crowd participation helped a ton.

As I reflected on the morning and the worship center completely full of people, I couldn't help but wonder where on earth all these people are on Sunday mornings. Seriously, at the first performance, the whole floor level was filled with people. One of the coolest things I've seen since I got here. Do they have other churches? How can we get those kids plugged in with kids' church each week? I'll continue to ponder that and let you know what I figure out.

This week has been absolutely beautiful weather. Another 70 degree day today. Ellen invited me to go down to the beach with their family, so I joined them for the afternoon. Steph and I made it our personal mission to race the waves in and out while trying to collect the shells on the bottom. Occasionally, we'd find something random: a bouncy ball, half a pair of glasses, until Steph spotted the most random thing yet. A CAMERA! It took us a few minutes to get it, because the waves were tossing it around, but sure enough, a Canon digital camera was floating in the water. The memory card was still inside, sand inside the LCD screen, and tar on the outside. If only the memory card would come out, it'd be interesting to see what kind of pictures are on there. Rarely do I go down to the beach without going surfing. I could see the waves forming nicely all day long, and I seriously wanted to go back home and grab my gear. Pretty soon we'll be surfing in just swimsuits. With the water temperature around 50 degrees, I'd say we're a long way from that right now.

I wore a hat, and spf 50 today to try and keep the sun off my face. It worked. But I didn't put any sunscreen on the rest on the rest of me. That didn't work out so well. I keep thinking the March sunshine isn't that powerful.

The Luhmann's invited me over for enchiladas and entertainment. When I walked in, I noticed a new toy was stationed in the dining area: a gazelle. We each took turns getting our workout in after supper. The poses are endless. Then I created a wii mii and we played wii bowling, boxing, baseball, and laughed our butts off while getting beat up by flying balls! It's 9:30, and I'm shot.

No comments: