Sunday, March 29, 2009

is he breathing?

To everything turn, turn, turn. There is a season turn, turn, turn. And a time to every purpose under heaven. Ah, the Byrds. Lea sang a remake of this song today in church. It was awesome. I was happy to hop up and do a theme intro about the seasons and express how Californians really have no idea what the seasons are considering since I got here it's really been the longest summer of my life. They laughed. Either way, no matter where you live, we all experience seasons in our life that have nothing to do with the weather.

I was incredibly blessed today by Randy and Evelyn Spilde. They are a couple from church who took me out for lunch, and invited me to go to Pageant of Our Lord at Rolling Hills Covenant Church in Palos Verdes. At this performance live people recreate famous paintings, sculptures, and other art mediums. Some of the pieces were placed inside large metallic frames, and others were stand alone art pieces. It was incredible. We got to sit in the second row!! The Lord's Supper was recreated by 13 men who began by feeding each other bread. The lights went out for one second, and when they came back on, all 13 men were frozen in portrait position. My favorite piece of the day was Descent from the Cross by Adam Lenckhardt. This small single tusk of ivory was turned into a live art form over fifteen feet tall. Each person is real. You could see the Jesus figure taking small breaths if you looked closely. The entire performance was hosted by a couple who introduced each piece from memory, a lofted choir sang and lead with the help of an orchestra! They have 17 performances within two weeks. Both Lisa Strom and I agreed that Bob should never be allowed to see something that amazing or he'd want it done at Good Shepherd too! :) They asked that no one take pictures, but I couldn't help myself. I figured they wouldn't kick me out of a church! I only took a few, because it was just too memorable to forget.

Unfortunately, I've been plagued with the same migraines my mother gets. I think mine are connected to light sensitivity, because they usually come when I'm at some kind of performance or at a place where there are dramatic changes to light. So, guess what hit me half way through the performance? Grr. I went directly home to try and sleep it off before 7:00 worship, but no luck. I got up to lead the welcome, and Bob leaned over and said, "Why don't you just go home and get some rest. I release you!" Thank you, God! I was in bed by 7:15. I slept like crap, and still had one when I woke up, but some breakfast and water helped kill it by the time I left for church. Guess it's time for Monday, Monday. So good to me.

No comments: