Sunday, March 8, 2009

preacher dove

I was up late last night putting the finishing touches on my sermon, and got up at 5:00 a.m. (with the time change) to put all the power point slides together. I usually print out my sermon the day before and practice using the paper copy. I decided not to worry about that, so just worked off my soft copy. I never got a chance to read through the whole thing with the font size changed this morning before actually delivering the sermon, and boy to do the words move around when you go up two font point sizes. Don't get me wrong, the sermons went well, it was just a lesson learned. When I'd walk back to the podium to get my next note, it was never where I thought it would be. Silly me.

In case you didn't catch that: sermonS, yes, I preached two back to back. This was my first time preaching more than one on a Sunday. Usually, Bob preaches the other three, and I get one of the services. I was pretty nervous at the 9:30 service with my family all sitting there watching closely. So, it was super nice to have 11:00 to give it another whirl. Between sermons, Bob and Greg gave me feedback, so I was able to try and make a few changes, or ignore what they said. As a "j"/planner type, throwing new ideas into a sermon 5 minutes before I give it is not a strength of mine, so it was a good opportunity for growth in this area. After 7 months of being here, it was great to get a large chunk of my family out here to introduce to people at church. I think my sister and I are the same Myers-Briggs letters. It was funny to see her interacting with people the exact same way I do! We're too much alike! :)

After worship was over, I felt a huge sigh of relief. Now I could really enjoy the time with my family! Presley got to pick our lunch spot: McDonald's. Then we all went home and crashed for a few hours. A nap was just what I needed. My sister couldn't sleep, she wanted to go go go, so they all loaded up the van and went exploring while I napped, and while Kevin and I went back to church for 7:00 worship. You know how I know Kevin loves me? 4 worship services in one day. That's love.

No comments: