Saturday, March 21, 2009

ocean to mountains

In the last twenty four hours I've been surfing in the Pacific Ocean and snowboarding in the mountains of California. It's a beautiful thing, really. Yesterday morning we went surfing. I caught two decent waves. Paddled left and cut right. Apparently this is a big deal. Just thought you should know.

I enjoyed a Friday of Sabbath and didn't do a dang thing. One trip to Goodwill, and a stop at the grocery store exhausted me, so I lounged most of the day. I did find an adorable red coach bag with metallic gold "C's" all over it. The perfect little party bag. $5. Pastor Bob and Pam invited me over for supper at their house last night. BBQ ribs, salad, corn on the cob, corn bread, and even some taco dip made by yours truly! Some late night Mexican Train, brownies, and the fun had been had.

This morning we were suited up and stepping onto our snowboards and skis less than 24 hours after surfing. Love it! Bob, Pam, Bobby, and I went up to Mountain High in Wrightwood, CA. My third and final trip there this year, so I had to pull out all the stops. Toeside, heelside, inside, outside, I've got 'em down! I even got so confident, I tried going over a jump. The first two times I didn't get enough speed, so I didn't make it to the top of the jump. I crawled my way up and boarded down the back side. Third time is a charm. God as my witness, I went over the jump. Mind you, I didn't catch any air, but it was still a thrill. Bob and Bobby are quite the little dare devils. I saw them both do some serious aerial maneuvers. The only aerial maneuver I did was when I fell getting off the chairlift and about dislocated my shoulder on my way down. This happened twice. It's gonna hurt tomorrow. Speaking of hurt, my face got so fried from the sun and chapped from the wind, I look like a raccoon. I guess that's what I get for not wearing any sunscreen. Oops. The temperature on the mountain had to have been fifty degrees and sunny, so the snow was complete mush by late morning. The loose snow caused more wipe outs than my inexperience did.

7 hours of snowboarding. I slept on the way home. No rest, time to get ready for the young adult game night. Take a quick shower, run to grocery store, set up for the event. We had a fantastic time. Slack-lining in the patio area between trees...shh...don't tell anyone, Risk kept the guys busy all night, and of course Rockband and Scattergories entertained us all. These nights are so low key and enjoyable. Chill time with friends fills me up. I left before everyone else so I could get a few things ready for worship tomorrow. This helped reassure me that once I'm gone, this group will be just fine. They don't need me to bring the fun. They're the ones who make these gatherings such a blessing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok... so who is Beth? You said Pastor Bob and Beth invited you over...

No more skiing for you this season? I thought we could get in just 1 more

Amber said...

Shoot, I always do that. Pastor Bob and Beth are my dear friends from MN who I've known so long that all the Pastor Bob's I meet become married to Beth because it's engrained on my brain! :) I'll change it. Thanks for noticing.