Tuesday, March 24, 2009

baptismal birthday

After such a great surf session last week, I was eager to get out again this morning and see how many waves I could catch. None. It wasn't a good morning. Besides the fact that it was freaking freezing in the water and my chapped/raw face was burning from the salt water, the sea life got a little too close for comfort...again! First it was the dolphins. Seriously, I was starting to like them after all my interactions with them, but after my two month surfing hiatus, they suddenly freak me out again. When the water is glassy, you can see them coming a mile away. My toes curl up, I start splashing to make myself obvious, yet they still come right up by me. Then, at one point, what looked like the head of a chocolate lab popped out of the water and I yelled, "What the heck is that?" I thought someone was letting their dog fetch in the ocean. Not quite. It was a really strange looking sea lion without whiskers. He just kept his head above water and swam around for a while. By that point I had had it. It's been seven months and I'm still as scared as ever. When the sun came up over the tops of the houses, I knew I had to get out. My face is still in recovery mode and I'm afraid any more sun exposure might make my poor nose fall off. It's covered in brown leathery skin right now and peeling fast. It gives 'brown-noser' a whole new meaning! In case you don't believe just how bad it is, here's a photo Ellen took of Steph and I from Abalone Cove. This was the second day of windburn. Yikes!I was reading my Bible today and flipped to the inside cover and realized that today is my 26th baptismal birthday! Only 12 days after I was born I got baptized. Most people I told today said they couldn't believe my mom took me out of the house after only 12 days. I'm glad she did. Makes it easy to remember. March 12 & March 24. Good days.

The Easter Egg-Extravaganza is this Saturday so my time has been spent working on the skit, cutting out jelly bean words, coloring, making signs, and gluing. Ellen caught me in the action today and snapped a picture of the craft fun! :)

I've been thinking a lot about prayer lately. Really, about the necessity for verbal prayers with other people. I have a lot of close people in my life who are 'words of affirmation' folks in the love languages, and they're the kind who love verbal prayer. I think it's because often they get affirmed in my prayers when I thank God for them. Is prayer a means of filling the head of the other up with praise or are we praising God for them?

No comments: