Wednesday, March 18, 2009

you don't know me

Today was good practice for more unscripted leading in worship. By leading a little 10 minute sermon, I felt much more able to wing it than I would on a regular Sunday morning sermon. This is good practice for me. And who really cares if I say things less poetically than if I were to script it all out. It's more personal that way, right?

I spent all day at church today. I really think I could to a 3 day workweek and put in my hours. 13 hours x 3 days just about does it. As I was getting ready for worship tonight, one of our welcome ladies called me over to introduce me to a new guy who just walked in for worship. He said he was eating across the street and just felt this tug to come to worship tonight. I said, "Around here, we believe that's the Holy Spirit working through you." :) Maybe a little much for a newcomer, I realize. I explained a little about how our Wednesday evening worship services work, how they're much different than Sunday worship, but still cool. I hooked him up with Steve, one of our prayer ministers, and told him I'd answer any questions he had about worship. After it was over, he said, "I'll definitely see you on Sunday!" Thank God for working through him tonight. Hope to see him Sunday!

It's fun leading worship and interacting with people in the message. It helps me to get to know people and their personalities. Sometimes that interaction can make people think they know you better than they really do. There are a few people at church who I hardly know at all, but because they see me leading on Sunday morning, they think they know me really well, and that they can say anything to me. One guy came up to me tonight, and without even saying hello, he said, "You need to get your pants hemmed." I hardly know this guy. But since he said such a bold statement, I figured I'd be bold back and said, "You know, I've lost 15 pounds and these are too big for me now. I can't keep them up where they belong. Maybe you should buy me a smaller pair!" He laughed. Probably not the best thing to say, but c'mon people! Be nice! Again, small paper cuts.

No comments: