Friday, March 27, 2009

i feel pretty

Sorry I've been so absent from blogging lately. Easter is right around the corner. The work is piling up and right now there's no end in site. The Mexico mission trip is next weekend already, then Holy Week (preaching Maundy Thursday), singing and dancing on Easter Sunday, and materials ready to teach on the confirmation retreat. As if that's not enough, I'm working on getting a photography website up and running, and that's been taking up most of my free time lately. I know so little about website stuff, so I just decided to make a blog and add pictures to it. This new blog site doesn't let me customize things like this blog does, so but I'm grateful the information is up for people to see. If you want to check it out in its beginning stages, feel free by clicking here.

Today I decided to practice what I've been preaching and take a true sabbath. No work what-so-ever. Well, no Good Shepherd work that is. I ended up cleaning my room up a bit, getting laundry where it belonged, had a web cam date with Kevin and finally at 2:00 hopped in the shower. I love lazy days. I dried my hair, put on make-up and a dress then realized I had absolutely no where to go and nothing to do. My nose is finally getting back to normal. I put on sunscreen and took advantage of the beautiful 75 degree (no humidity) day by taking pictures outside. I was all dolled up, so I decided to just take pictures of me. You have no idea how desperate I am for some business right about now. I have this new addiction to putting flowers in my hair, so I picked more of Jane's front yard and went to town. She also has a bush of gerber daisies in her backyard and they smell so fragrant and heavenly.

I figured it would be cool to have some up to date photos on this new website, so I took some with that in mind. Here are a few of the ones I took. Evidence of zero productivity today!

Ever since talking to Kevin today, this thought has been running through my head, so who better to ask about it than those who faithfully read my blog. Please write me a comment and respond to this question when you have a second: If you were hearing a stewardship sermon from the pastor at your church and she/he within the message told you the exact amount of money they give each year as a way to show the congregation that they're being a true stewardship model, how would you receive that?

9 comments:

Kristi Kuhl said...

the exact amount...that's kinda risky I would receive it as a bold statement of faith and it would encourage me to give more and have faith like my pastor (this is my opinion as a college student of only 19)...However i could see some receiving it as a slap in the face or another sermon to give, give, give the church needs money...which i have thought while hearing about budget issues that the church has with the economy as is and everyone giving less even to the church in which case it could be taken with hostility. I think it is a very bold statement but i would use caution in giving and exact amount just because of the iffy issue of it being received...however my wisdom should be taken with a grain of sand because i am young and in-experienced

Rob Ismael said...

I am mixed about that as well. I would see it as the true faith and sacrifice the Pastor has, but I would also see it as statement of unhealthy pride.

It would be like having a trusted family member giving an accounting of their offerings only to make you feel bad.

Auntie Dana said...

I would receive it in the manner it was intended - as evidence of the pastor's faithfulness to the Lord's call for all of us to be good stewards of the the many gifts He has blessed us with. I suspect that most of those who are tithing or building towards a tithe would not be offended.

There will always be some who take offense. Some will silently fume, others will discuss it with their church friends and/or small group, in which case they may hear the message better from a layperson. And as you learned from the money management sermon series (Kingdomopoly?) you will find that some will strongly object to God's intrusion into their financial lives by leaving your church, regardless of God's blessings being the source of our ability to make an income in the first place. Prayer for wisdom, open hearts and minds, and Holy Spirit conviction will help here.

God is good, all the time! And all the time, God is good! Trust that the Holy Spirit will touch many others to take steps to achieve this important biblical practice of giving first fruits back to the God who loves us so much...

At LCGS, and other churches, the pastors' salaries are not disclosed. I can imagine that this honesty in a sermon might open the door for someone to take precious congregational meeting time to explain how everyone's salaries should be everyone's business. Ruffled feathers and all,.. I don't feel this is a valid consideration, just more of a nuisance factor as these issues tend to arise whether you preach on stewardship or not.

If the Spirit is urging you or Kevin or any pastor to this level of disclosure, do so! Mostly, do it with much prayer. Let the Holy Spirit bless you with His words; may they be powered by the Spirit with the delicate balance of conviction and sensitivity so that they may empower His people to action. Pray, pray, pray and surround yourselves with prayer partners/ministers that will pray during your message.

All this to say, I believe biblical stewardship is such an important topic that God will lead you to such a disclosure. in His time. Perhaps this touchy topic might also lend itself to an intentional discussion within the congregation.

Regardless, God is in control and will continue to bless you to be a blessing!

Lisa P said...

Email/Facebook me and lets set a date for our photo session with my clan. I think the sun staying out longer and we should try to get it done after Easter.

Pastor Rebecca said...

I actually was part of a church where the pastor did exactly that. In his mind, he felt that a) he was accountable to the congregation who had hired to him to show how he tithed, and b) as the pastor, should set the example.

I'm personally torn on the issue. I see his point - but I can also see it as trying to "guilt" people into giving more. "See, this is what the pastor does..."

Jason Bryan-Wegner said...

This is a question I have wrestled with myself. Theologically, I think it is important to speak a word that does intrude into people's financial lives because that's exactly what the Gospel does, it ruins our lives in order that they may be saved through our faith and trust in Jesus. On the other hand, I know HOW offended people get and how sensitive people are to issues of money, especially in our current economy. Back to theology...where the law convicts people, especially to set down the idol of money, there is a word of grace if people find that their ties to their financial resources is actually in the way of their relationship with God. We are called to be prophets at times and not appeasers. It is a narrow path we walk as Christians, and to set an example (not to hammer over the head, but to instruct in love) is appropriate and well within the call of pastor.

Let me say one more thing...I am windy...I know. I think it's incredibly important in this post-modern, post-Christendom context we live in to articulate how the resources people give makes an impact on the mission and ministry of God. In other words, we need to be accountable to the congregation as to how the resources they give are used.

Hope you're well.

aase said...

I think it is important for a congregation to know their pastor is a faithful giver not only with their leadership as pastor but also financially. I also think the relationship the pastor has with a congregation is important to take into consideration as well as the tone to their preaching which is going to influence just how stewardship is preached.

Is it going to overshadow the Gospel? My guess is yes, espeically if it surprises people as being too high or too low. That's going to be a figure that sticks with them.

Of course stewardship is a big deal - we want to keep our jobs (or get them and then keep them) - but is our obvious vested interest a conflict of interest? A way to keep our jobs?

While I think we need to be able to talk about money in a healthy way in the church, I'm not sure this is the way to do it.

Preaching is a powerful medium, as it should be, and we should not take lightly the impact it has on people. Judgment and guilt get wrapped up into pastors quickly anyway, despite sermons dripping in grace. Getting money tangled up into that is also dangerous.

Jodi said...

I have mixed feelings, but the strongest feeling is that it is not a good idea to reveal an exact amount. We are told to give as we are given. We are all in different stages and seasons in our lives and our giving will reflect that. I don't know that an amount would be helpful; it is all relative.

just my thoughts....Jodi

Auntie Dana said...

Amber, you've started a great discussion! I love all of the perspectives, each thoughtful provoking, filled with truth, and spoken in love... the way I imagine Christian community should be. It speaks volumes to the character of your friends!