Wednesday, March 11, 2009

low tide, high spirits!

Wednesday's during the Season of Renewal are like a second Sunday. Worship at both ends of the day. Kevin joined me for the morning worship. How fun to sit and go to worship with him. Neither of us had to do anything at the morning service, so we got to talk together during the discussion times, and go to the stations together.

This afternoon we hopped in the van and made our way up to Palos Verdes to visit Wayfarer's Chapel & Abalone Cove. Presley LOVED Wayfarer's Chapel, so much so, she started pretending she was getting married there and asked all of us to take turns marrying her. She would go outside, pretend to put on her dress, and walk back in to meet her future mate. She even kissed Holly at the end of their "service." I got to marry her too. Not surprising I had my camera around my neck during the nuptial. I'll need to get a black dress when I really do get married so it's not such an eye sore. Then she told Kevin and I to get married, so we walked down the aisle too. Only, we were wearing black, so Holly said it was more of a goth wedding. This would be a sweet place to get married. Overlooking the Pacific Ocean, too bad it's $2,300 to use their facility. Even more if you want it a candle light service at night. It really would be worth it though considering the gardens, paths, and trees are so stunning and well kept. We had the place to ourselves, so it was pretty fun to play pretend and look around. I could get Presley to sit down for some pictures, but Madison is much more difficult to get to sit still, let alone smile. Two perfect smiling nieces? Dang, I knew I couldn't be that lucky!

I forgot to mention to Holly that the hike down to Abalone Cove was slightly vigorous, so her clogs didn't do so well on the way down. Hiking over rocks, through the sand, and down gravel roads were a bit of a challenge. But it was worth it. Presley had an absolute blast looking for shells, starfish, crabs, and other marine life. We found a number of awesome sea urchin shells and took a bunch home for keepsakes. Her bag of shells is getting fuller by the minute. The tide was lower than it had ever been, so we were able to walk out really far on the rocks. We're coming back to Abalone Cove next Sunday for our Focus Finders event, so I'm excited to see what things they find to photograph in the tide pools.

A hike back to the top got us all believing that we were horribly out of shape, but we had to hurry. Night worship was in less than 2 hours! Our music director was out of town tonight, so she asked Kevin and I to fill in for her. So fun! I played keyboard, Kevin played guitar, and Travis was on drums. I love singing with Kev. Funny how it worked out that she was out of town so we could lead the music tonight. Really, what a blessing for both of us! After church we made a late night dash to the two story Target so Holly could see it. Presley picked up a musical greeting card that played "Happy Birthday" and sang it over and over again.

No comments: