Monday, February 23, 2009

crazy craigslist

What I won't do to save my family $125 off their cost to get into Disneyland. I found tickets on Craigslist this week for two day park hoppers for Disneyland. Regular price = $95. A lady was selling them for $60. So, Kelly and I drove to south LA to pick up these tickets. I asked the lady to meet us at a public place for our safety, so when she e-mailed and said her husband would meet us at the liquor store on the corner, I said ok.

We pulled into the parking lot, and saw a sign in the parking lot across the street that said "No drug dealing here!" Gee...how safe are we right now? There were people pulling in and out of the parking lot. The longer we waited, the more nervous we got. I even left a message on Kevin's phone telling him where we were in case something happened. Is it really worth risking your safety to save money? I'm now concluding that it's not.

Finally, a man comes walking up behind our car. He calls from his cell phone to confirm it's him. We both get out of the car. He's wearing a big hooded sweatshirt with a pocket on the front. There's something in his pocket that looks bigger than tickets. Immediately, we think, "It's a gun!" He pulls his hands out of his pocket and unrolls the 8 x 11 print out Disneyland tickets. (sigh of relief)...they look to be valid, but we call the Disney ticket office anyway to check to make sure we could use them. We called, were transferred, transferred again, only to find out you cannot check the validity of a ticket over the phone. Now what? Well, I handed over the $240 cash and am praying they'll work when we show up at Disneyland in a few weeks. We got in the car and bolted as fast as we could.

As if that wasn't enough Craigslist action for one day, I decided to go pick up some skiing tickets from another guy in El Segundo. Luckily, he was super cool. We ended up chatting for about 30 minutes. He told me all about his life, faith, and family. I even invited him to come join us for a young adult night if he wants. He sounded interested. It's so cool to meet new people (especially in random situations like this) and find they are looking for community also. I pray that I'll see him again and have more opportunities to invite him to church and introduce him to the YAC. Power to the evangelists!

No comments: