Thursday, February 26, 2009

hannah is here!

I didn't get much done today. Hannah is here. The instant a guest is in the air flying to see me, I lose focus and stare at the clock. The same was true for today. She arrived this afternoon, to a sun filled lovely day in southern California! I was greeted with a nice long, tight Hannah squeeze at the airport, and we were on our way to a 48 hour adventure! Our first stop: the beach! Watching Hannah frolic in the sand was the cutest moment so far! Within 5 minutes, she determined she loved California! It wasn't a hard sell at all. We dipped our toes in the chilly water, watched a few surfers flop around in the choppy waves, and made a necessary stop at Dive-n-Surf in Redondo Beach. Hannah was determined to try surfing, so we needed to rent her a wetsuit. They were having a massive tent sale, so we got to see some cool boards and tons of other merchandise on sale. Hannah about died of heat stroke trying on two wetsuits. It reminded me of the time when I first came to CA to visit, and my mom and I went with Pastor Bob to rent me a wetsuit. I was sweating profusely, and had to walk out and model in front of my future supervisor. A little embarrassing. Hannah handled it like a champ and even got a shot from the air compressor shot up her arms to cool her down. Oh, and I bought a used surf hoodie for $10! What a steal! Now I have no excuse not to go in the morning! After all that, we headed back to Torrance to get settled. I showed her around church and home. We rested for a few minutes when, ding dong, the doorbell rang. Guess who it was? Another visitor! SCOTT! A 45 minute drive from La Habra, CA and I had two guests in one day! Lucky me!

All three of us were starving, so I took them to my new favorite restaurant, Rascals! Of course, they loved it too! There's not a whole lot to do once it gets dark here, so we decided to get spontaneous and go for an adventure! I drove them up to Palos Verdes so we could get a sweet view of the city, then we did a night hike down to the cove. It was dark, a little scary, but worth it to hear the sound of the water pulling rocks over rocks for the coolest sound ever! It didn't take us long to get down and then back up, so we drove down to the Redondo Pier for our last excursion of the night. Bob was out in the neighborhood rounding up enough boards for all of us, so he stopped by to confirm our surf time. We walked down to grab 'Step into Liquid' to give us inspiration, and ate a bowl of oatmeal (should've been ice cream) while we learned how to surf. After such an exciting day, we all climbed into bed pretty quickly and hit the hay. Surfing in the morning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

fun fun!

hannahgjohnson said...

Highlight of my life.

Thanks for all the fun, buddy.