Sunday, February 15, 2009

the full monty

I've never been to a strip club, nor do I ever plan to go to one, but today I came as close as I probably ever will when I attended The Full Monty with two women from church. To say I was "shocked" would be an understatement. The opening scene consisted of a young man in his late twenties, completely stripping in front of the audience. I looked at Bonnie and Carolyn, and we all had the same expression. Hands over our jaw dropped mouths...wondering what we had gotten ourselves into!

Despite the wild opening, it really was an incredible show. Amazing singers, props, funny lines and songs, and sets straight from The Guthrie. This was no community theater, and the actors were from near and far. Great talent with tons of credits to their names. Today was a day filled with lots of kindness. A gifted jewelry maker from church gave me two crates of beads that she wasn't using anymore, Bonnie and Carolyn took me out for lunch before the show, I got to go see an awesome theater production, lots of words of affirmation following worship due to the skit and special music.

In the spirit of theater, I tried my hand at skit-writing today and played a woman at her first day on the job. I decorated my desk with all kinds of tacky crap, and was shocked to hear my boss insist I take a day of vacation rather than working on my first day. The text was the story of creation from Genesis and how God created people on the sixth day, and basically turned their first 'day on the job' into a day of vacation on the sabbath. Greg joked later in his sermon that my desk actually looks like that (not completely) because I'm so joyful in what I do. Again, another kindness to add to my love tank. Which is great, because it's been a hard week emotionally. Right now I'm exhausted in every way. "Jesus, Garden of my Rest" by Robbie Seay Band was the song for today, and my song right now. Peace out.

1 comment:

Kevin Bergeson said...

a bird family on your desk! incredible!