Friday, February 27, 2009

filled friday & fun friends!

I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. What a riot today has been. At 7:30, Bob arrived to take us all out surfing. The waves were medium sized and choppy, but frequent. Bob gave Hannah and Scott a quick lesson on what to do, and in no time we were in the water pushing them into the whitewater. Two belly rides and Bob figured they were ready, so we headed out. I stuck with Hannah, and Bob helped Scott. They paddled hard in front of us and made their way out to the safe water. Hannah and I had a heck of a time, so Bob came back in for us. He sent me in the water to go be with Scott. When I got to him, he was safe, but he had drifted out to sea a ways. I flagged him to paddle more inland; he looked a little frazzled. Did the flaming eyeball on his board make him sick? Not exactly. He had been floating over the large swells for so long, he got sea sick and threw up! So, there we were, one new surfers and one wanna-be trying to figure out what to do! I consulted with a fellow paddle boarder, and he advised that we just paddle in toward shore, so that's what we did. We paddled hard, Scott got tossed by a few waves on his way in, I caught one and rode it in on my knees before standing on it. Hannah was on the shore, so I yelled to her so she could see! I got caught up in the excitement of it, I forgot about Scott, he was slowly paddling in. Luckily, he was safe. He was done surfing for the day, but safe. Hannah and I played around in the water a little more, and enjoyed the warmth of our wetsuits.

Bob treated us to breakfast at Uncle Bill's Pancake House in Manhattan Beach. Chocolate chip pancakes for me, and Macadamia nut for the rest of the nuts. After showering and resting for a while at home, we put on our hiking shoes (chacos unite!) and headed down to Abalone Cove. Bob told us when low tide would be, meaning: TIDEPOOLS! We weren't the only ones with the idea. 5 buses full of about 200 middle school kids were there tromping around in the water, playing with the sea urchins, and being kids. One child found an octopus and carried it in to one of the more easily accessible tide pools. Of course, all 200 kids raced to see what it looked like. Once they left, we walked over and saw it for ourselves. It was pretty incredible. A fellow tide pooler actually picked it up and held it! Crazy woman. We saw crabs, starfish, little fish, and cool coral-like stuff. Wow, with a vast vocabulary like that, I should've been a marine biologist! After a beautiful hike back up the hill, we headed to Trump's golf course to walk that path too. Lots of hiking today!
As a reward for all our exercise, we had supper at Marie Callendar's...including Kahlua cream cheese pie! Yum! Back at home, we spent the evening talking and making videos with my camera. Here's the latest version of the Canticle of the Turning performed by Hannah Johnson and Amber Marten. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You whistlers are pretty pro, and pretty funny too. PS I really wish i could see an real octopus i'm jealous!!!