Sunday, February 1, 2009

news flash: there are no bears at Big Bear!

I cannot believe it's February 1st today. Rabbit Rabbit, Hannah! Where did January go? I'm happy to say I finished January on a good note. I got to spend two days with my love before dropping him off at the airport yesterday morning, and then Melissa and I hopped in Vera and headed to Big Bear to join the other young women for a retreat. Up the windy mountains we went...I was worried about my car, but she made it no trouble! We were greeted by 6 other ladies and spent the day scoping out the beauty of God's creation. Saturday morning we went sledding (though there was barely enough snow for it). It was hilarious to watch people slide down the hill and crash into a pile of rocks at the bottom. Where's the Minnesota snow when you need it? Then we found an old tree swing and took turns braving the jump. Talk about a leap of faith. The swing was hanging from a rickity old branch that looked to break at any moment. But, we were brave and gave it a shot. Lots of fun. I have always wanted to try snowshoeing, so I brought a pair along and climbed the hill to test them out. They're pretty fun. We enjoyed lunch at a little local cafe near Lake Big Bear. Mountain towns are so adorable. Cute little people, shops, and cabins. We decided that since there wasn't enough snow to go skiing or snow tubing, we'd go horseback riding instead. So, all eight of us mounted horses and took an amazing ride through the mountain. My horse was so sweet. Bandit was his name. He certainly didn't act like one. I did the heel click thingy to try and get him to walk faster, but he had his own speed. SLOW. I suppose that's a good thing. The ground was really muddy at times, and even icy in a few places. Amy and Melissa's horses decided to walk across the ice at one point, and I watched their little hooves slip around. Smart animals! So, I veered Bandit to the right and we walked on the safe dirt.

Big Bear Lake (which is beautiful in every way) needed some attention from us, so we drove back to take a walk along side it. Big Bear ski resort in the background, ducks swimming in the deep blue water, large cabins lining the lake, it really was a lovely sight! A trip into town wouln't be complete without a run to the grocery shopping and a line of eight women in Starbucks. If you haven't had their strawberries and cream drink (coffee free), you MUST try it.

Again, I spent too much time in the sun without enough water, so I got a headache. When we made it back to the cabin, I slept for about 2 hours, woke up in time to find a plate of spaghetti waiting for me to eat it, and enjoyed Bible Study, dessert and a rousing game of MadGab with the girls. My headache was gone. Looking for God this week: God was there in this situation. Usually I have to sleep for 8+ hours to get rid of a headache, but amazingly woke up without a trace of it and was able to have a great night with the girls! Amy, Alicia, Kelly, and I stayed up late having girl talk. I miss slumber parties! Once again I am reminded of how thankful I am for these new friends in my life. Internship would be much harder if I didn't have other women my age to talk to, hang out with, laugh with, and make memories with. First call in southern California? Sounds great to me! For our Bible Study we talked about Lent and Easter. Giving things up and trying something new. I need to come up with something good to give up and take up for Lent. I plan to do both.

Melissa and I were in charge of making breakfast this morning so we got up early and prepared eggs, sausage, bacon, and cinnamon rolls. MMM! We got the cabin spic and span and headed for home. We made it up to 8,443 feet at one point. I love elevation! Going down the mountain was way more fun. Vera just zipped on down and before we knew it we were back in Torrance.

I took a little nap and then blogged during the Superbowl. Football just didn't interest me today. Though when I got to church tonight and saw 5 people in the pews at 7:00 I began to think I was the only one. Where was everybody? By the time I got up to lead the end of worship, there were more like 25 people in there. Some said they came once the game was over. :) Having church around the time the Superbowl ends is not a good idea. Next time we'll have to watch the game in church and use the half time show as a window for worship. That's a sure way to get people to come!

2 comments:

Auntie Dana said...

Oh, to be twenty-something again! We didn't even have growth groups then, let alone a great retreat like your group just had! Now you're all recharged...Working from rest looks better all the time.

Anonymous said...

Horse back riding sounds like sooooo much fun! Wow what a beautiful place in God's creation.