Saturday, January 31, 2009

a couple of corks

Chocolate chip pancakes and cheesy eggs. What a way to start the day! I only make chocolate chip pancakes when Kevin his here. It's a tradition.

Bill and Jane were kind enough to let us take their sea kayaks out into the Pacific Ocean this afternoon. It was 80 degrees outside, so we refused any indoor activities during the day. We shoved them both into the Explorer, and Bill helped us get launched from the harbor. I tell you what, the ocean is a much different animal than any lake or river in MN or WI. It's a little scarier. It was fine inside the harbor as there is a no wake rule. We could hear sea lions barking from far off. Both Kevin and I rounded the edge of the harbor to head out into the ocean and saw a number large boat heading for the harbor. They were HUGE! Not only were the boats huge, but their wakes were even bigger. Not to mention the waves the ocean produces on its own. When one of the boats came charging in, we both started paddling our little arms off. The waves rolled under us no problem, but as a little cork in a huge body of water, we were a little freaked. So, we paddled away from the harbor and went and floated down by the pier for a while. No boats to worry about. Sadly, no dolphins to worry about either. They were no where to be found. Lots of sea lions, but no dolphins. On our way back into the harbor, we noticed a dock completely covered with sea lions sunning themselves. Those animals are monsters. Them and the freaking seagulls. We got attacked by an angry flock of them, and one pooped a stream of white diarrhea in the water right next to my kayak. Of course, I started screaming, turned around and let Kevin paddle ahead without me. Eventually, we paddled back for the dock. Kevin had brought his camera along, and I brought Bob's in the water proof case. Kevin paddled ahead of me and hopped out onto the dock first. He jumped out and I heard him yell, "OH NO! OH NO!" I knew immediately what had happened. His camera was tucked in his shirt so it wouldn't get wet. When he hopped out, it fell into the water. So, I started paddling back as fast as I could, fully prepared to jump into the ocean to retrieve it, as we could see the bottom at this point. Luckily, he pushed his kayak aside and it was floating on the top of the water in the little plastic baggy. No damage done. Thank you, God! We were only out for about 2 hours, and I got some major sun. No matter how much sunscreen I put on my nose, I am still managing to get brown sun spots! Not that I can complain. The sun is such an amazing thing to wake up to. Just so you can see just how beautiful it is, here's a shot taken of Torrance from our drive down from Palos Verdes yesterday. I love it here!

We decided not to go to the movie shoot tonight. It would've taken up our entire evening, so instead we did a little shopping and went out for a delicious steak and shrimp supper. We keep checking things off my "to-do while in LA" list. It's nice to have Kev out so we can make these memories together. 2 days just wasn't enough though! Only 36 days until the whole crew is out for a week! I can hardly wait!

No comments: