Thursday, January 8, 2009

mountain low

A ball of sweat. That's what I woke up in. Confirmation that I had a fever last night and it broke sometime during my sleep. Either that or I wet myself, but doubt I could saturate all the way down to my socks. My congestion has been much better today. No ear pressure! I taught Jacob's Well this morning, and scheduled discussion time throughout the lesson to allow me time to go clear my sinuses.

Gloria and I made a home visit today to a member who was recently put on hospice. Her health has been fading fast, and even this morning, her caretaker called with a great sense of urgency. We entered a room to see a thin, wrinkled, pale old woman lying under a down comforter. I had never met her, so I introduced myself, chatted for a while and noted something: she was sharp as a tack! Laughing, sharing, talking, & receiving communion. I've never been at the bedside of someone near death and witnessed such life and peace. Most of my CPE (Clinical Pastoral Education/Chaplaincy) death experiences were with traumas or coma patients. This was so different. To look someone in the eye, knowing they are completely aware as to why you're there, to pray with them, and say, "God Bless You" in this context was incredibly moving. As of this morning, her caretaker didn't want to leave her bedside for he feared she might die while he was away even for a minute, and now she was on the rally of a lifetime saying, "maybe this whole thing (hospice) was a mistake!" When we left her house, I explained my confusion of the situation with Gloria. Didn't he say she was about to die? She was alive as ever it seemed. I was unaware that people tend to rally for a few hours or days sometimes near the end right before they die. I hope that's not the case. What a sweet old woman this lady is.

Eventually, an afternoon destined for fun, adventure, and new things turned from a trip to Mountain High Ski Resort to mountain low disappointment. After driving 45 miles north through LA traffic, we reached a winding mountain road that was to take us all the way to the ski hill. The only problem: we drove 60 miles up the hill to find the road closed 15 miles short of the ski hill. Bob even tried pushing the gates open so we could drive through, but no luck. You know what they say: If life hands you a pile of snow, make a snowman. So, that's what we did. As well as had a snowball fight on the road. Mind you, I was wearing flip flops and had sunglasses on my head. It was a bit chilly, but great fun. The views on the way up were breathtaking. Evergreens, the sunset, a bear running near a brook (ok, that's a lie), such a great change from the city. From the beach to the snowy mountains all in a matter of hours. It's a beautiful thing.
To go back down (60 miles) and drive around the mountains (another 60 miles) would've taken over two hours, so we just drove home. Back down the windy mountains we went. Moaning and groaning the whole way. Amy and I about threw up in the back seat from all the side to side turning, not to mention the fact that I'm still mighty congested and (as Amy said), my equilibrium is off. We sang our favorite classic country songs and a few oldies too just to keep our mind off our guts. After driving all the way back to Torrance (4.5 hours in the car with no snowboarding reward) we went to the Rognlien's, made supper (including a run to Rascal's for some of the best french fries EVER and a smoked sausage with apples in it! Leave it to the CA folks to come up with something as strange as that), watched another great surf movie, and I even over came one of my biggest fears by holding onto Lulu (the Rognlien's parrot). She wasn't as scary as I thought she'd be. She could sense I was freaked out, so really, she wanted to get away from me more than I did her, but it was a cool minute or two. She can sing, laugh, and say all sorts of cute things. Until she starts copying you...the exact way you talk...that's annoying. Well, maybe that means I'm annoying, considering she was saying what I was and laughing just like me. Hm...let me think about that one. Basically, she was all talk but had no game to show for it...crawling back to Bob like a little wimp. Regardless, I'm too "type A" (according to Pam) for Lulu to like me. Oh well, I'm not planning on getting a bird anytime soon anyway. I'll stick with dogs.

No comments: