Sunday, January 4, 2009

kidney

Have you ever heard of a plane being de-iced? As I stared out the window of my Sun Country plane, I saw this strange contraption coming toward the plane, which eventually shot some watery type stuff out of a gun. It looked like a plane car-wash or something. We left MN an hour late last night after our plane underwent two rounds of this special de-icing treatment. I've never felt so nervous to fly. If the plane mechanisms are frozen, should we really be flying? I can write about it now that I'm safely back in CA, but at the time, I wanted to go back to Kevin's and skip the whole flight. Gotta love MN weather. Though, I did get to scrape 2 of Kevin's car windows before heading to the airport. For some sick, strange reason, I like scraping ice off windows.

But now that I'm here today, I'm glad to be back. I was welcomed home by Kelly and Amy Luhmann. Such troopers to pick me up from the airport at such an awful hour (1:30 a.m.) Worship was awesome and filled with all sorts of Amber Marten word vomit. I went to give the benediction at 11:00 and said, "Lord, may the friends bless you...wait a minute, LORD? How about FRIENDS, may the Lord bless you and keep you..." earth to me! Oh, and my favorite "I hope you are all jacked up about white elephant bingo." Jacked up. Wow. That's what you get when you're running on 3.5 hours of sleep.

We had another YAC event tonight. Lots of folks were in town from college, so it was awesome to meet them and get to know a bit about each of them. There were 13 people who showed up. I only made copies for 8 (thinking that would be an over estimate!) What a pleasant surprise! Of course, the night began with the most competitive game of Catch Phrase to date. The girls won, but only by a few points. Dang, the boys are getting good. We watched the Rob Bell Nooma video called "trees" and got to talk about living the lives God wants us to live rather than the one we so often want for ourselves. The greatest nugget of the night came from a young woman (and nursing student) who, when asked where she sees God replied. "In kidneys!" Of course, the rest of us looked at each other as if to say, "what did she say?" Luckily, she continued, "I see God in kidneys; they do so much for us. We have two of them, but really, we only need 25% of one to survive, so God gave us two so that we might share the other with someone who needs it." Isn't it true? That's the essence of God's love for us and of the love we need to have for one another.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you said "Jacked Up" during the 9:30 service, I turned to Amy and said... What is worse to say, Butt or Jacked Up?!?!

Amber you crack me up!

Anonymous said...

random tom note:

my favorite nooma, is matthew. which is #12 i think ...

then again, its only one of the few i remember.

i'm glad you got home safe, i was worried about ya when i read of your departure time and its proximity to MNickiness.

also, you can come scrape our car windows ANYTIME

Alicia said...

well you can see what it says about me... I didn't even realize you said anything out of the ordinary when you said "jacked up"... I was just thinking how fun bingo would be :) haha

MD said...

When did you arrive in LAX? Melissa and I flew Back from LA at 1:00 Am on sunday, we were probly in the Airport when you got off your plan

Anonymous said...

Love your "word vomit!" You are so real!