Tuesday, February 10, 2009

NPC in SD (not South Dakota)

HELLOOOO SAN DIEGO!

I'm in San Diego for the National Pastor's Convention! The sun is out, but the temperature is way down! BURR! Regardless, it's wonderful to be in a new place for a few days! We're staying at a beautiful resort, really, it's more like a small town. Dozens of buildings, pools, gardens, and trees. I found a tree that looked like a hanging plant. A couple thousand pastors from around the country are here to hear some great preaching, buy books at 50% off, meet authors, hear them teach, and spend some time worshipping. It's easier to worship when you're not worried about what you have to do next in the service. :)

Session #1. Marriage and Ministry: complimenting and not competing. I think I was the only unmarried person in that session, but I'm so interested in healthy relationships in ministry with a spouse, and with family as well. Kevin & Sherry Harney taught the class and offered some great tips for boundaries, affection, and leadership. I had to laugh as they went through their list of healthy ministry characteristics. Kevin (my Kevin) does most of them already whether he's aware of it or not. Most of the married couples in the room were like "Oh, good idea." Lucky me to be loved by someone so bright.

Today is Greg Wallace's 39th birthday! In celebration, I played the third wheel and joined he and Cindi for supper at P.F. Chang's. Wow, is that good! We each got dessert shooters and shared them. Two thumbs up from me! Sharing a meal with the Wallace's was a great follow up that class. Here are two people who know how to do ministry together in a super healthy way! My only problem: I'm staying along in a hotel room. This feeds my introvert nature, but not my comfort level. It's a little frightening sleeping alone in a hotel room. Especially when there is a picture of a creepy little girl in a blue dress on my wall. No dreams tonight, please.

Shane Claiborne spoke tonight. He is a social justice guru. So much so that he took all the money he got paid for speaking, broke it down into $1 bills, wrote "love" on the back of each one of them, and asked each person to come up and get one and give it away. What a gesture of generosity! Oh, and I randomly bumped into my friend Shannyn from seminary! A big hug and some stories and laughter completed the night on a wonderfully high note. Buenos noches.

No comments: