Sunday, June 14, 2009

Tiffany & Co.

Well, my period of denial has officially ended. I've lost it more times today than I care to count. My heart is heavy and hurting, and the last thing I want to do it start packing up, but it's time. The "lasts" start tonight. All week long. It doesn't help that everyone around me keeps reminding me and asking when I am leaving. Let's go back to denial.

Church this morning was wonderful. So many warm hugs, kind gifts (a mickey scarf from the Spilde's, a key finder from the Mayfield's), and over 100 prints sold for the Uganda mission. Pretty close to $2,000 has been raised for the water tower. That's 1/5 of the cost. Way to go Focus Finders! All nine of my prints sold. Jane bought "Darn Duck" today and left me with no photos to take home. Darn. I was hoping for at least one left over to keep. The quilters from church also had their boutique today. I bought an adorable apron, and was given a few pot holders as a gift. Now, I just need a real house to do some baking in. All these wonderful gifts: my love tank is overflowing! I'm so glad to have little things to remember my GS family by.

After the congregational forum, I drove up to Chet & Theresa's house to help celebrate Chet's 62nd birthday. We spent the afternoon swimming, munching on yummy food, and hitting Bobby in the face with water logged footballs. JOY! Theresa even helped me find this sweet second skin stuff to help heal up my sand rash. She's the coolest nurse ever. Little did I know the whole family was planning to celebrate more than Chet's birthday. Toward the end of the afternoon, Theresa sat out a chair and said, "Ok, here's the hot seat. Amber, you get to go first." I wasn't exactly sure what the hot seat meant, but with this crew, I was sure it was some kind of prank, so I sat in the chair, held on tight for fear that they'd try to throw me in the pool, and watched them all gather around me. Linda started sharing some kind words about my time here. I was so choked up, I don't really remember what she said. Theresa chimed in as well with her loving sentiments and got the whole family singing, "I've got the joy joy joy joy down in my heart" in honor of me. I must bring them joy or something. :) Following all the words, tears, and song, Linda announced that they had gotten me a little token of their appreciation. I didn't notice Amy had her hand behind her back the whole time, and suddenly she brought her hand to the front to reveal a little blue bag with "Tiffany & Co." written on the side. (Let me bring you up to speed on the significance: Amy got a similar bag at her graduation party, and tortured me by not opening it until last of all her presents. I had never even seen a Tiffany bag before, so when I saw hers, I was obviously excited. Ok, you're back up to speed). So, Amy handed me the bag, I read through the card, and got to reach in the bag and pull out my very first little blue box with a white ribbon. Inside was a blue pouch and a beautiful double heart Tiffany necklace! WOW! I was a little excited! Gotta give it up: that was the coolest present of the day! Of course the bag full of krispie treats is a close second. These two families have welcomed me to nearly every major holiday and family function this year. They really are my family away from home. God blessed me with the friendships they have given me this year, and I cannot wait to see how God continues to keep us close in the future. I love you guys!

2 comments:

Linda said...

We love you too Amber. Like I said, you have been woven into our family and we will be forever tied together.

LisaP said...

You are some special girl Amber. You deserve it all. What a beautiful necklace. God Bless.