Saturday, June 13, 2009

w-w-w-wipeout!

Oh dear, just pull the plug. What a day! What a day! I had to get up early this morning for my first long run. 7 miles. I mapped my course on mapmyrun.com to find a route that would get me the mileage. Unfortunately, the website doesn't show you where the hills are. 4 miles into it, a ginormous hill. Dang. A little light drizzle helped to distract me from the fact that I was absolutely out of my mind. I did it though in a little over an hour, so I felt good about that. As if that wasn't enough exercise for the day, my final event at Good Shepherd brought even more action.

A beach party at the Manhattan Pier with slack lining, volleyball, friends, skim boarding, and lots of sunshine was a wonderful way to spend the afternoon. Lots of old friends, and a few new ones showed up to enjoy the festivities. Of course, we were worried the life guards were going to come and yell at us for tying the slack line up to the pier, but we weren't bothered. In fact, at least 5 strangers came up and tried it while we were there. We had fun tackling each other in the sand, taking pictures under the pier, and watching surfers paddle out between the pier pillars. Yikes! Bobby brought his skim board again and I got a second chance to try it. I wish I could say it went well. On probably my tenth attempt, I didn't time the board correctly and had a major wipe out. Sand burn. It hurt like crazy. Only about 20 friends saw the whole thing, so I tried getting up without making too big a deal of it. Within minutes, it started swelling up, bleeding, and got really really red. Thank goodness. Now I could go ahead and say how much it hurt and they wouldn't think I was a wimp about it. Lesson of the day: quit while you're ahead. Oh wait, no, a more important lesson is this: never put your lips too close to a woman who likes to kiss on the lips. Linda is a lip kisser kinda gal. I jokingly (you hear that--JOKINGLY!) puckered my lips for a funny photo and she pulled an Albert Brenneman and came the full 100%! Overeager!

We spent over 4 hours at the pier. It seemed as though everyone had a great time! By 6:00 I was ready for bed, but the day wasn't over yet. Another photo shoot. Everyone is cramming them in this last week. I think the one tonight was officially my last one. There's just no time to do anymore. I had to turn down one for this week because I knew I had a sermon to write, and not a single free night to be working on it. Fortunately my shoot today was for a family at church who I really love. Two little girls who bring a lot of joy to my Sunday mornings. Anyway, church tomorrow, hopefully more prints will sell at the show, and some friends are getting baptized. Exciting day! Night!

No comments: