Saturday, June 20, 2009

we're ENGAGED!

continued...I was wiped after the concert. Sleeping on Kevin’s shoulder on the bus. When we got back to my car, Kevin took the keys and said he’d drive. We got in the car, I put my head against the window and Kevin said, “What do you say we do something spontaneous?” I was feeling far from spontaneous so I replied, “I’m tired. Can we just go home?” He explained that he really wanted to drive up to Palos Verdes so he could see the lights of the city at night. I agreed and said we could go as long as we didn’t have to get out of the car. (Do not mess with me and my sleep!) Then he said he really wanted to see what Wayfarers Chapel looks like at night. By this point it was midnight, Wayfarers was closed, but I didn’t want to be a dream assassin, so I directed him up the hill. Apparently, Kevin had to go to the bathroom really bad, because when we rounded a corner and saw a Ralph’s grocery store, he swerved into the parking lot. The lights were on, the doors open, and a few cars in the parking lot, so we walked in to use the restrooms. When I was washing my hands, I heard someone yell, “We’re closed!” Dang, I was still stuck in the bathroom and now would have to go out and face the wrath of this woman. Kevin was already finished and was talking on his phone when I walked out the door. She shouted again at us, “We’re closed, you can’t be in here!” I said back, “We’re sorry, we didn’t see hours posted on the door.” So, we hurried for the door where we were met by a Palos Verdes Sheriff. They had called the police!! Kevin kept talking on his phone and left me to deal with the officer. I apologized and explained that we didn’t see hours posted. He was kind and waved us by. Hoofta! As we were walking to the car, Kevin set off the car alarm, and I heard him say to the person on the phone, “We’re on our way.” Then hung up. I had to ask, “We’re on our way? Who were you talking to?” He replied, “Hal.” Yeah, sure. Here’s when I got a little suspicious. On our way up to Wayfarers. We pulled in the parking lot and all I could see were gobs of candles lining the stairway up to the chapel. At this point I knew what was happening. I saw the Luhmann’s vehicle parked in the lot and knew Kevin had been talking to them. They were there to set the whole thing up. We walked up the stairs. All I could say was, “Oh my goodness love!” We made our way up and saw three shadows lurking in the dark. Kevin coughed a few times and scraped his feet on the ground so they’d know we had arrived. Hand in hand we made our way to the front steps of the chapel. We tried opening the doors, but of course, they were locked. So, I decided to start hugging Kevin. I knew what was happening, and all I could think to do was hug him. My memory at this point is a little foggy, but here’s what has come back to me after a few days. Kevin began by saying, “For the longest time I’ve been trying to figure out what I’d say to you at this moment. And I don't want you to leave California without knowing how much I love you.” I’m crying at this point. “I can’t wait to have a family with you, to make meals together. We’ve been together 764 days, but I want to be with you 21,900. And I don’t want you to leave California without knowing how much I love you.” We stood there hugging for a few more minutes. I was still holding on pretty tightly, crying of course. Kevin’s part of the story here is that he didn’t want to seem rude and pry my hands off from around his neck, so finally he said, “Dove, I haven’t even asked you yet.” So, I let go, he said, “You’re the only person I ever want to ask this question to.” He got down on one knee, pulled the ring from out of his pocket. It was pitch black outside the chapel, and when he opened the ring box, a little light inside the box lit up. Kevin added his own sound effect by saying, “Bing! Will you marry me?” I replied, “Of course I will.” So I kissed him and he stood up. Then I asked him if I could put the ring on. He handed me the box and I said, “I think you’re supposed to put it on my finger.” We laughed for a minute, cried a little, prayed together (I made sure to ask God to forgive Kevin for all his lying), and then we walked back down the stairs while shouting, “We’re engaged!” Kelly, Amy, and Bobby had spelled “A + K” in candles and clapped and hugged us. Then we realized we were trespassing and should probably hurry up and get off the property. We took a few quick pictures, blew out the candles, dripped a little wax on the sidewalk, and headed for home. By this time, it was 3:00 a.m. in Minnesota, but it didn’t matter. We had to make a few calls. I woke Holly first to tell her the news! She was a little drowsy, but by the time she figured out why I was calling got excited! I told her the whole story, then woke my mom, Kevin’s mom, and my dad didn’t answer. Kevin’s energy from 40 minutes before was gone, and mine now kicked in. I wanted to know everything! We drove down to the Luhmann’s where Linda was waiting by the window and upon seeing us on the sidewalk began knocking and yelling, “Come up here!!” She was pumped! So, we ran upstairs and were greeted with more excitement and celebration! Well, it was not almost 2:00 in the morning, so we went home, I got my jammies on, and asked Kevin to tell me a bedtime story of every detail of the ring shopping, planning, etc. More details on that later! We’re engaged and couldn’t be happier!

We woke up the next day, called everyone else who needed to hear it from us, and were overwhelmed with screams and cheers! It’s so wonderful to know that we’re supported in this new journey together! I had to cut most of my stories short because my sermon was still incomplete and was making me nervous. So I finished it up in the afternoon, and got to share supper with the Luhmann’s and Stewarts. Steak, potatoes, corn, brownies, and ice cream! YUM! My sister had called Kelly and asked her if she’d be willing to pick up some balloons and bridal magazines for Kevin and I, so Kelly brought them out for us when we got there. Amy had a large pink bag stuffed with a gallon bottle of teriyaki from Rascals. I swear it weighs at least 10 pounds. Good thing I have plenty of room in my car for it! J Theresa gave Kevin a huge white box full of Christmas Tree treats for our ride home, and the greatest gift of the night was a scrapbook made by a whole bunch of people from Good Shepherd. Pictures, kind words, and awesome designs filled the book. I still haven’t had a chance to read all of it yet, but cannot wait to sit down and look through it more thoroughly. A huge thank you to everyone who added to the beauty of the book. I will treasure it always! One more day to go.

No comments: