Wednesday, November 5, 2008

evangelism high!

My heart is racing, it's happy, warm, and extra fuzzy right now. I can hardly sit still, I'm so excited about the happenings of today. Fact: I am an evangelist extraordinaire! :) I put a few ads on Craigslist (an online site for selling/advertising things) for the Young Adult game night event that's happening on Saturday. I got two people who replied from that who said they are interested in joining the group! Then, today, I looked through some of the personal ads (no, not for personal reasons) because sometimes people place ads which say they are looking for new friends. I replied to a few of the "normal" ones and had 4 people write me back to RSVP that they are COMING!! Thank you God! It's working!

The game night consists of video games (wii, xbox), board games, cards, and snacks. We'll be playing the video games on the large screens in the Community Life Center. So, not only are the other young adults going to be there, but we'll be joined by some new (non Good Shepherd) folks as well! I could pee my pants right now, I'm so thrilled!

Monday & Tuesday, Bob and I were at the Southern California internship cluster at a retreat center in Palos Verdes. Luckily, it was only a 15 minute drive for us. Some people had to drive over 4 hours. There was an incredible view of the whole LA city from the edge of the retreat center, so I snapped a quick shot last night. I got a chance to see a few Luther folks, and meet some new friends as well. I was constantly reassured through the stories that other interns shared that God had Good Shepherd in mind when the internship process was developing! I walked away from one of our meetings today and almost burst into tears of joy because I felt so overwhelmed that I was the one chosen for Good Shepherd. Bob affirmed to me last night on our drive home, "Well, those are all nice interns, but we got the cream of the crop!" Man alive, all I can say is the feeling is mutual!

I could tell that the other interns were really fascinated by Bob, and I felt like a proud little intern as if to say, "Yup, he's my supervisor! Lucky me!" One of the other male interns even joked and said, "I think I have a man crush on your supervisor!" That cracked me up! I’m so thankful to be part of the Good Shepherd team, and honestly wouldn’t trade this place for any other site. Other interns talked about giving into the powers that be and choosing sites for the wrong reasons. Back in February, I had that option too. Some supervisors contacted me (when they were told not to by the CLI office) and offered all kinds of things: a possible first call opportunity, a fridge packed full of groceries, a car to drive around in. There was something to be said about the fact that Bob never contacted me following the interview. He was honest and didn’t try to scam the system the way a few other internship supervisors did. I thank God everyday that I didn’t get swayed by food, cars, or jobs. Don’t get me wrong: it was all very tempting. The devil was certainly working in that situation: internship selection. Sad. But, I’m happy to say, I’m quite glad, content, challenged, loved here in Torrance. What a blessing!

After a quick trip to Target last night with Kelly (we found planners for $1), I found myself glued to the TV to watch Barack Obama give his first speech as the new President of the United States. History.

1 comment:

Auntie Dana said...

Craig's list--Great ide! I can't wait to hear how God moves this emerging young adult group.

And from the bottom of my heart, and many others, as well...WE LOVE YOU, too!