Sunday, November 16, 2008

from dust you came...

Torrance is one giant crematorium. I walked outside this morning, and the air reeked of fire. As I stepped on the sidewalk, the air from my step kicked up a while layer of ashes from the ground. It's the saddest thing. Houses are still being burned to the ground. I heard they even shut down Disneyland today because the air quality is so poor from the smoke. I've definitely been staying inside as much as possible. Which means no surfing tomorrow. My car even got covered in a layer of white speckled dust. (In case you're wondering, the blue thing on the top is my new surfboard rack!! Sweet, huh?) These last few hazy, smoke filled days have really reminded me about my relatively short life here on this earth. It can go up in smoke just like that. Please pray for the CA people who have lost their homes, and pray that they will continue to trust God to provide all they need during their time of loss.

It's been another whirlwind Sunday. 3 services, a 1 hour power nap, a photo shoot of Carla and her family, our first YAC fellowship time, and the final service. WHEW! Remind me not to schedule too many things in one day! This morning, the congregation also hosted a Maya Work Sale in the CLC. I walked over and saw many of the goods I purchased when I was in Guatemala this January. I didn't buy anything. Following the 11:00 service, Lisa Strom and Pam Rognlien chased me down to present me with a gift. They had bought me a beaded DOLPHIN from the Maya Work Sale in the spirit of my wild and crazy dolphin experiences! Too funny. She's cute. I named her "Pisa" in honor of my gift giving friends!

The YAC event tonight was a huge success. I'm slowly learning that it doesn't matter if there are 100 people there, or 10. The quality and fun of our group tonight was awesome. Thank you to those who came and partook in the event. For the record: Catch Phrase: Girls = 1, Boys = 0...not that I'm keeping track or anything! :)

Today Kevin and I are celebrating a year and a half of dating bliss, so in honor of him, here are a few of my favorite photos of the two of us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...I cant even fathom what its like to see or be around forest fires. I like your new rack it really completes the ensemble of the surfer mood for your car, and I like more the price you payed to buy it. Hooray for the girls at catch phrase but i'd be careful what you say for the boys might just attack, they have a tendency to do that.