Tuesday, November 11, 2008

my first cut back

Wow, it's been an awesomely challenging day. Do you ever have those days? Hard: because tough issues got raised, tears were shed, and pain escaped--but relieving: because God created an opportunity for openness and humility. That was today for me.

Bob and I went out surfing at 5:30 a.m. (I'm starting to like the morning), and were among a sea of other surfers. I was starting to feel slightly claustrophobic. Every wave I went for, 5 other people paddled into as well, so I constantly chickened out--for their safety. I cannot predict where my board is going to go. However, one wave today saw the wrath of Amber. Slowly, my feet made their way up onto the board, and I even cut back into the wave a little. The amazing beauty of God's creation has me itching to get back in the water, whether I catch a wave or not. Though, catching a wave always helps! :) I saw some beautiful dolphins riding the waves with us, watched many rainbows emerge in the backspray of the waves, and felt myself chewing on sand at one point. Ah, the beauty of creation.

We're planning another outreach event here for December called Santa's Workshop (I still can't believe a church event has a title with the word SANTA in it!) :) The idea is for parents to drop their kids off for 4 hours while parents go shopping for Christmas presents. The kids play games, sing songs, eat lunch, and make crafts. Today was the first planning meeting for that event. It's about the closest thing to VBS I'll be able to be a part of (since I'll be done interning by the time VBS rolls around here), so I'm really excited to contribute to the event.

A few days ago, there came a letter of great surprise. The women of First Lutheran in Brookings apparently had a no-bake bake sale, and sent me a gracious financial contribution from the event. Words cannot express my gratitude for these women who so selflessly give to others! Thank you all so much. Maybe now I'll go get the timing belt fixed on my car. It's way overdue.

A couple of great sermon prep/supervisor meetings today got some great ideas flowing for my sermon next Sunday. I'm slowly checking things off my list. Ah, there is satisfaction in all of this madness!

Kelly and I hit up Rascals for supper tonight. I love their chicken teriyaki bowl. MMM...rice, chicken, and lots of sauce! Great for the diet! NOT! :)

Oh, and the best news of the day: KEVIN IS COMING AGAIN! Nov. 19-22. My heart has been hurting lately. I miss him. So, it was such an awesome surprise this morning to receive an e-mail with his flight itinerary attached! I was literally jumping for joy when I read this!! YIPPEE! One week from tomorrow!

No comments: