Saturday, November 22, 2008

terijaki splat

Kevin, what exactly is Terijaki Splat? "It's when you're walking home from Rascals, you take your leftovers out of the bag and throw them at the windshield of the first annoying driver who honks for no good reason. That's Terijaki splat!"

I never laughed so hard. Kevin and I went to Rascals for lunch, chicken teriyaki bowls, of course. Then, on our way home, we noticed...way too many people honk their horns around here. Horns are as common as turning signals. Now, I don't believe in flicking people off, but I'm thinking about ignoring that belief for the next 7 months if these CA drivers don't settle down. Swearing, throwing hands up, speeding around...my goodness. I'm going as fast as I can...what's the big hurry? That's a big change of pace from MN. And, I live in the cities. Traffic is thick and people are nuts, but not like here. What's going on around here that has caused people to drive like maniacs and get so angry? I'm planning to figure that out by the time I leave.

So, Kevin and I came up with a solution. Step 1: keep a fresh bag of leftover Rascals in your car. Step 2: the first person to honk at you gets a fist full of teriyaki rice thrown at their windshield. Step 3: wave. I think this will solve the problem.

Kevin and I got up at 5:30 this morning to go out and surf. I don't know why I bothered going. I was feeling so stressed out about my sermon and about Kevin leaving that I should've just stayed home. The waves were huge today. I had the hardest time yet paddling out into the waves. Too much flopping around in the water. Saturday is the busiest day for surfing, so we were surrounded by a whole host of eager surfers. We were blessed to see an absolutely gorgeous sunrise. Kevin stayed on shore to take pictures, but we eventually drifted so far south he lost us in the sea of surfers. I had to get out of the water to flag him down so he'd know where we were at. I didn't catch a real wave. So, I played around in the white water until I gave up. This surfing stuff is way too stinkin' hard! Kevin got a photo of a guy who snapped his board while surfing. This is why I get nervous about borrowing someone else's board. If I break it. I buy it, and these beasts are super expensive. 7 months left. I hope I can go without breaking one! :)

Because I was so worried about the sermon, we went back home and I got to work on it right away. Kevin graciously read some more while I typed away, and was there to dialogue with me about different sermon ideas. How wonderful to be with someone who understands what I'm doing and can contribute ideas and suggestions at will. Realizing that he was leaving in a few hours, I set the computer aside and tried to stop worrying. We made a chocolate bundt cake treat (courtesy of Greg and Dana Barker), and then headed to the airport. BOO!

I dropped Kevin off at 3, and went to church for the next 5.5 hours to finish my sermon. I hope sermon writing gets easier with time. I'm always so concerned with being long winded in my sermons, so I chopped idea after idea out to keep it to the timeline we're given. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you two had a fantastic time...I love the idea for road rage it makes me smile.