Monday, October 6, 2008

another ugly day in california!

This blog title comes from the quote master himself: Bob Rognlien. I hear this line every morning as we drive back from the sun filled beaches of CA. Today was a wild day of surfing. First of all, we didn’t get up at the crack of dawn to get there. 9:00 was great for me! We drove down to the Avenues, and I got my first taste of the surf down there! The waves were totally walled out (meaning, there was little shape to surf on) which made it hard for me to get up. I had my greatest near death experience today as the waves coming in were crashing on me, and the waves trying to back out into the ocean were dragging me out. I don’t know exactly how long I was under the water, but it was enough to scare the crap out of me. And if I wasn’t scared enough by that—there were sea creatures everywhere! I was sitting out on my board, and all of a sudden, 3 dolphins swam within 10 feet of me. I did what any animal lover would do: screamed bloody murder! They are awesome from a distance, but couldn’t believe how terrified I became when they were right up next to my board. Bob reminded me: “This isn’t a swimming pool, Amber, this is the ocean.” Obviously. They continued to swim around us, mind you, they don’t actually hurt people, but I was quite relieved to see them swim away. Within minutes, I shouted, “The dolphins are back!!” and tried to get my entire body up on the surfboard (I didn’t want to lose a toe or anything). Then the seals came. Wow, I’m from MN, what can I say!? I was scared. So, wildlife, almost dying, yeah, it was an exciting morning.

I'm starting a new group at GS called the Focus Finders (photography fellowship). There was an announcement slide yesterday for it, and I've already had lots of people calling and e-mailing their interest! Very exciting! We're planning to drive to different locations to shoot pictures. The idea is to use some of the images in worship, and maybe even have an art show in the spring! Lots of things to look forward to!

Good news! I finally figured out how to get a video up on youtube. So, if you’re interested in seeing the “Drance” you can now check it out by clicking here!

No comments: