Tuesday, October 28, 2008

dolphins, sea lions, & birds...oh my!

Are you sitting down? I hope so! Today was the best surfing day of them all! I rode the biggest wave yet, and rocked it all the way to the shore. This was the first time I really sat on the top of the wave and dropped into it. I'll never forget it. To make matters better, it was like a wildlife safari out there! I saw a whole family of dolphins splashing and playing around. They were jumping out of the water far enough that I could see their eyes and mouths. A sea lion got pretty close again...swimming around with his head poked out of the water, and the pelicans continued to dive bomb into the water in an attempt to catch fish. It's quite a scene out there. For whatever reason, I feel safer now with a full suit and booties. I guess I figure it's more material for the sea lions to sink their teeth through, so I'm not so scared. It's amazing to walk out into 3 foot deep ocean water, and not even feel the cold water. Of course it seeps through eventually, but man, full suits + booties = pretty awesome!

I began packing my bags this afternoon. I'm pretty sure I can check one bag for free this time home, and with all the different photo shoots we have to do, including my Halloween costume, it's a good thing I can! Less than 24 hours!

I had a wonderful supper tonight with 4 other young women from GS. Laura #1, Kelly, Karly, & Laura #2. Laura #1 is getting married in two weeks in FLORIDA, so we wanted to celebrate and treat her to supper at a fabulous Italian restaurant just blocks from the church. Karly just got engaged on Monday, so it was also a chance to celebrate with her! I'm so thankful for the young people here who have so graciously welcomed me into their lives. It'd be much harder to be here if they hadn't.

Well, it's time for my last meeting before my big day of travel tomorrow. The Intern Task Force strikes again! :)

2 comments:

Dana said...

Greg told me about your great wave! It's amazing what you've accomplished in about 8 weeks... Congrats!

Anonymous said...

How did you post this at 4:52 and we didnt even meet for Dinner till 5:30, and the picture was around 6:30... Wow amber you are Amazing!!! Must be related to Batman or something

Have a great few days being at home. I will see you on Sat at the Airport!