Friday, October 17, 2008

emergency

3 days in a row--this surfing thing is addicting. Even despite the freezing cold water, we went back out. It was a rough day. I didn't ride a single wave. My poor knees, ankles, and arms got beat up a little more each day. Enough is enough!

Bob called an emergency supervisor meeting at Dive N' Surf, the local surf shop in Redondo Beach. It was a wet-suit emergency. After three straight days of goosebumps, I decided it was time to set aside my frugal tendencies and buy one. We picked out 4 to try on. I slipped in to the first one, no problem. Mind you, it was 80 degrees today. Surf shops do not have air conditioning. So, after a minute in a full suit (long sleeves and pants), it gets a little toasty! I was sweating like a wild hog.

Then, Bob got a call from a friend who knew someone who works at Dive N' Surf and would be willing to get us his discount. AWESOME! I was hoping for 20%, so when Bob knocked to tell me it was 50%, I freaked out!! He immediately went and grabbed a higher quality wetsuit, because now, with the discount, I could afford a better one. So, I peeled the first one off--literally, and tried putting the second one on. I couldn't. Because I was so hot, my skin was sweaty--I couldn't get it on. I was standing in this blazing hot dressing room laughing hysterically because I was stuck in a wetsuit that I couldn't get on or take off. Poor Bob waited patiently until I finally got it on. It only took about 10 minutes! :) It was a nice suit, but even with the discount, it would've been close to $200. Too much. So, instead of impulse buying it, I got a great one that at regular price was $140. So...for me, $70!! I was expecting to pay close to $150 for a wetsuit, but with all that savings, I splurged and got a pair of booties to go with it. They are so sweet. The big toe is cut out--Kevin said they look like a deer hoove. I'm thinking of sleeping in them. :) Both items are Body Glove, and get this: my wetsuit has PINK on it! Elle Woods would be so proud of me!

Fernando, the employee went right over to the shop and bought both things for me. My total bill was $108. I can't believe how lucky I got to get a full suit this time of year. For you Minnesotans reading, it'd be the equivalent of going to buy a winter jacket right now--none would be on sale because everybody wants them. So, I swung by his house to thank him with ice cream and money. Fair swapping of the goods. He's an awesome guy who has been living in CA forever. It's fun to meet folks who grew up here. Lucky ducks!

I leave for Mexico tomorrow for a weekend long mission trip in Tecate. We'll be working on a preschool by building an awning and painting the inside. I'll share many stories when I return. As for me, I'm pooped...time to call it a night! Sweet dreams all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time. I'm glad you found a good deal.