Sunday, October 12, 2008

shane & shane & amber

Day Three of the National Youth Workers Convention in Sacramento, CA: empowering. I headed back out to the pool this morning. The air temperature was 45 degrees—even colder than yesterday! Today was the best day by far at the convention! Guest artists today included: Starfield, Shane & Shane, Kendall Payne, Tony Campolo, Lost & Found, and The Skit guys.

I rushed to the group session this morning with much anticipation: Shane & Shane were performing! They did not disappoint! Man, they’re awesome. And what’s better: I got a picture with the two of them after the session was over!

The first session I went to this afternoon was called “Get Dramatic: Taking drama and skits to the next level in your ministry.” Four of the Good Shepherd folks went to this one and it proved to be quite entertaining. Why? Because I got to perform! This was led by the hilarious duo called The Skit Guys. They asked for two volunteers to come up, and I got picked. It was an improv skit. All they told the two of us was that our subject was integrity, and to tie it into internet use. So, we went at it. It was a blast. I got quoted for saying some incredibly stupid things. The one that got the most laughs, “by golly!” I even stopped in the skit and said to the audience: “Did I really just say ‘by golly’?” Wow, it’s amazing the ridiculous stuff that comes out of your mouth during improv. The Skit Guys were really affirming, and even wrote down a few of the one liners that I said. They thought I was funny! SUCCESS!

This afternoon, we got to go through a line and collect some awesome free items. Books, CD’s, a bandana, music downloads, shirts. Today was the day of awesome gifts. My love language was fed in the greatest way. TOKENS of love! We could even stop and write out affirmation cards. Check out the pink one I wrote for Cindi.

One of my professors from seminary, Andy Root, was presenting on relational youth ministry, so Greg Barker and I went to hear him. I had talked Andy up the whole weekend, so was hoping he’d do an awesome job to back up what I had said. When Greg and I walked out of the session he said, “He must be one of your great teachers!” Well done, Andy! He did do such an incredible job.

Tonight was packed full of talent on the stage. Some sweet escape artists, and my new favorite singer: Kendall Payne. Dang, can that girl sing! Dena bought all of us girls a copy of Kendall’s CD, so we got it signed! Then, we ran into the lead singer from Starfield (Tim), and got a picture with him! He was fascinated by my camera, so wanted to check it out! A celebrity touched my camera!! Super exciting!

Highlights of today:
Being in The Skit Guy skit
Getting a free DVD for acting
Lunch with Cindi & Dana
Personal pictures with Shane & Shane, Kendall Payne, & Tim Neufield
More free candy
My first signed CD

No comments: