Sunday, October 12, 2008

mechanical unicorn!

Day Two of the National Youth Workers Convention in Sacramento, CA: filling. I started the day off with a morning swim in the outdoor pool. The air temperature was 50 degrees—a wee bit chilly! The water temperature was a scorching 75 degrees. It was lovely. Guest artists today included: Starfield, Shane Claiborne, Phyllis Tickle, & Mike Pilavachi. These speakers and performers are ridiculously talented!

This weekend has been one of incredible growth and challenge for me. Shane Claiborne was an artist whose name I had heard before but didn’t know much about him. Our group went to a breakout session and listened to him talk about Grace. In his opening prayer, he said "May we become less so that you become more." I felt he tied this prayer into his message about how Christianity/church can start to look like fantasyland. Where we smile, hug, say all the right things, and forget to allow people to be broken (as we always are!) Are we encouraging others to live there too? How can we be more real so that hurting people don’t feel out of place? This isn’t to say that we shouldn’t be happy when life is going good, but more importantly, we should feel that church is a safe place to be broken. The brokenness creates cracks in our skin, and it’s through those cracks that the Holy Spirit is let in. Shane also said, "Forgive us for the mess we’ve made of this world." So true. After watching a gut-wrenching video about his trip to Iraq, I realized that we’ve got so much changing to do.

At the end of the day today, we headed over to the exhibition center, and I got to ride a mechanical unicorn. I’ve never even been on a bull, so I figured a cute little unicorn would be a good place to start! It was super fun! They tried getting me to wear a fake mustache while riding, but my vanity was more important! Yeehaw!! I rode that beast for 12 seconds! (check out the little elf man below who cannot believe I stayed on so long!) lol
Highlights of today:
Riding the mechanical unicorn
Getting a free t-shirt & stickers
Buckets of candy
15 minutes of internet access
A "nap-time" story from Kev followed by a 2 hour nap.
More Hawaiian pizza!

No comments: