Tuesday, October 14, 2008

burgers=super, boys=stupid

The final day of the National Youth Workers Convention in Sacramento, CA: sheet (that’s a cross between short and sweet). I’m proud to say that I got up each morning this week and swam for 45 minutes. After all the junk food we got stuck eating at the convention, it felt good to wake up and take care of myself. Since the main session didn’t start today until 11, I got a chance to hang out with Dena in our room, and talked to my sister for a while. It makes me feel so loved to hear her express how excited she is for me to come home! 16 days!

Cindi gave us all $25 gift certificates to spend in the YM store, so today I went to the Jedediah section and bought an awesome blue “Surf the Nations” t-shirt and a black hat. The shirt was part of their hope collection, where $5 of each t-shirt sale goes toward the organization who sponsors the t-shirt. As a professional surfer, I felt obligated to support the cause!

After our final session, we waited around to take some fun pictures, and I even got a quick shot with The Skit Guys. As we were getting ready to walk out, Erik Gravrock, my friend from seminary saw me run into the bathroom, so he stalked me, waited outside for me to come out so we could get a picture together! CREEPY! j/k How fun to see a familiar face in such a new place!

As we were driving home, I was put in charge of looking for potential fast food restaurants for lunch. From a distance, I could see signs for KFC, Taco Bell…but then I saw it…IN-N-OUT BURGER! Everyone in the car started screaming and cheering! My first trip to the in-n-out! So, we grabbed the camera and documented the whole experience. I ordered a cheeseburger “animal style” (which means, with grilled onions & relish are added to the burger), and a chocolate milkshake! When I mentioned to the cashier that it was my first trip, he gave me a free sticker and hooked me up with one of the sweet grill hats! He even took a picture with me! I gotta say: it was quite tasty!

I am writing this as we drive down THE-5 (Californians like to but a definite article on the front of their roads), so they never say Interstate 5, it’s always THE 5. Weirdos.

Highlights of today:
IN-N-OUT
Picture with The Skit Guys
Morning swim
Getting a full facial from Dena with her Galvanic Spa machine.
Relaxing now in the van on our way back home.

As I sit and reflect on what my emotional snapshot from the weekend would be, this would be it: last night while listening to Kendall Payne sing, she said “It was in the darkest and stormiest nights that I grew the most.” This is a reflection of my growth point. This last week, I had conversations with some long lost friends, and randomly, shared with them a deep hurt that I’m still getting over. Because I was able to share so freely, I felt God tugging me this week to just lay it to rest. Why hold on to it anymore? Because of this time of suffering, I life clay was molded to a different form, and now I’m a greater work of art because of it. Ultimately, I feel as tough God is reminding me that I need to spend time with God if I hope to reach people and gain strength to overcome my wilderness and truly serve God.

Oh, one other thing I learned: I reached the conclusion that boys are stupid. I got tormented all weekend by two "mature" church guys who tortured me with things I hated. So, lesson is: never tell people what you're afraid of, especially animals. I heard the word opossum all weekend, and even had a stuffed animal thrown at me in a gas station. Worse yet: the weekend ended with a large, not to mention LIVE iguana being hand delivered as a surprise to me. What part of LEAVE ME ALONE is so hard to understand?

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Hey Amber...it's only Southern Californians who insist using "the" in front of highway numbers. Totally ridiculous to us Northern Californians! :)

I'm with you on Shane and Shane and Kendall Payne. Each time I hear them live I'm blown away.