Saturday, October 18, 2008

pato pato ganzo!

As I went to sign into my blogging account, the website automatically changed to Spanish. Yes, I'm in Mexico, but how does my computer know that? :)

For those of you who think I'm high maintenance for bringing my computer, I would like to defend myself by saying that I brought it to work on my sermon and powerpoint for a Bible Study. God bless Mexico for unexpected Wifi!

Yesterday afternoon, I was put in charge of the troops as we filled vans full of supplies, donations, and personal stuff for the trip to Mexico. 15 Good Shepherd folks gave up their weekends in an attempt to give back a little. This is a picture of Kelly and I at one of the rest areas we stopped at. With such amazing form, it's hard to believe we're not professional dancers, I know! I'm writing from Tecate, Mexico. About 3.5 hours south of Torrance. I can see CA from the retreat center. If I started walking toward the hill behind the dorm, I'd be in the United States in a matter of minutes. We're that close to the border.

I didn't sleep worth a crap last night. There was a dog within shooting distance from my window. I know this, because I debated finding a BB gun to pop it with. I'm rooming with Kelly, Karly, Yassi in this adorable little dorm room. Yassi is a marine biologist who works taking youth to and from Catalina for amazing adventures. I took this opportunity to ask her professional advice on the marine life I've been encountering. She reassured me that dolphins don't bite, but sea lions CAN bite if you try to touch them. Basically, I don't forsee myself reaching out to the yucky sea lions anytime soon, so, I guess I'm safe.
This morning we got up at 6:30, breakfast at 7, and in the vans by 8. We spent the entire day at a preschool. The men were put in charge of building an awning for the children to sit under. It took them all day to do it. The rest of us painted classrooms and eventually painted colorful murals on the outsides of the buildings. About 100 others from Tecate pitched in to paint, clean, and cook food. The women made food for us to eat for lunch. Honestly, I didn't recognize anything but the tortilla, but I was brave and tried a few things. Of course, we were the guests of honor, so we were asked to go through the line first. I hate eating before little children eat, but we sucked it up and did as they asked. After lunch it was back to mural painting. Here is one of the before and after pictures of the mural that Kelly and I helped paint.

The little preschool children and their families came and got dirty right along side us. Kelly and I got to play with a bunch of the children when we had finished painting the murals. Very few of them spoke Spanish, and eventhough I know a few phrases, we couldn't understand eachother. Though, we did manage to figure out that their version of "duck, duck, grey duck" is called "pato, pato, ganzo!" Some things are universal. Laughter, crying, hugging, even kissing! As a few of the kids left to go home, they walked up to Kelly and I and said, "beso! adios!" and then gave us kisses on the cheek. We all speak the same language when it comes to those things.

Our drive home from the preschool was about 25 minutes of holes and bumps. My eyes wanted to weep from all the poverty we witnessed on our drive alone. It reminded me so much of Africa. Little huts, dogs roaming freely, dusty streets, children playing, random shops on the side of the road, and garbage everywhere. Less than half a mile from the United States and this is what you get. It's unbelievable, really.

As I close this tonight, I thank God for all of you who care enough about me to read this blog. I thank God for a computer to communicate with, for a family who loves me, for my nieces who were fortunate enough to be born in a place where they sleep in warm and safe beds, for the wonderful love I've found in Kevin, and for being blessed to have someone like him in my life who supports me and stands beside me no matter what crazy thing I try to do next, for water I can drink out of the tap, for new friends I've met at Good Shepherd, and those we were fortunate enough to serve here today in Tecate. Besos!

1 comment:

Auntie Dana said...

And I thank God for YOU! You are blessed to be a blessing and have already blessed my life abundantly!