Sunday, October 19, 2008

calm the sea

I lied. I can handle dogs barking in the night. However, I cannot handle being sick all night long. We were served some super yummy fish tacos for supper last night, they were lightly battered and fried in grease. I know full well that my tummy can only handle so much grease, so I took a few and blotted them dry with my napkin. Apparently, it didn't help. I was up 4 times during the night either going the bathroom or throwing up. So, I skipped breakfast, and eventually had to get out of bed to pack my things and load up the van.

Dave Peters had asked me to plan and lead the Sunday morning worship service for the group at Rancho La Paloma. And, I was determined to do it after all the prep work I put into it. Carol (one of the GS prayer warriors) came into my room as I was packing. She played the mom card well by urging me not to pick things up, or move too much. She forced me to drink only small sips of water, though I felt super dehydrated and wanted to chug it. She asked the women in my room to come and lay hands on me while she prayed for me. "Jesus, if you can calm a sea, then certainly you can calm Amber's stomach!" I burst out laughing. Carol rocks! So, we went and worshipped. And, I only had to make one trip to the bathroom while folks were reflecting! Carol came up to me after the service and said that during breakfast they had all prayed that I would be well enough to bring the message that God had prepared in my heart, and that if my sickness was the devil's attempt to stop me, then bring healing and words. She hugged me and said that God spoke through me to her today, and the devil certainly did not win this one. I've appreciated all the prayers, and even more importantly, hearing others share how they sensed prayer was working in their lives.

We eventually hopped in the vans. I was armed with smart water and a barf bag. A mile on a bumpy gravel road was the thing I needed most! NOT! Luckily, we stopped at a park to see some of the sweet features. My pictures in this entry are all from the park. I was thrilled to find that the Tecate people dedicated a mural to Kevin and I. Dove & Bijou! :) I eventually switched vehicles while we were waiting in line to cross the border. So, I slept most of the way home in the back of a truck. I'm home now. I'm in bed. I've been trying to convince myself that I can go to church tonight, but with my unpredictable stomach, I don't know that it's a good idea. Time to drink some more smart water and rest a little. Dang, what a day!

No comments: