Tuesday, October 14, 2008

FEARFULLY and wonderfully made?

Is anyone else out there scared of things? We all are, right? Ever since I got to CA, I've been on edge. You know, back in MN, the birds are bad enough. Once in a while, one will get too close to me, and I'll freak out. You'd think in the middle of a thriving metropolis, I wouldn't have this problem. WRONGO!!

Once again, this morning, we headed out to do some surfing. I saw some dolphins in the distance. No biggy. They're growing on me. All of a sudden this little animal comes up out of the water about 30 feet from my board. I assume it's a dolphin. I was wrong. All of a sudden, this big toothed sea lion comes right up next to my board. Then, it popped his head up again for a better view. I panicked. Every surfer from San Fransisco to San Diego heard me this morning as I yelped like a little hyena. I understand I'm swimming in the ocean and that there are more than the usual turtles and bullheads back home, but dang, why am I so freaked out here?

Due to the warm temperature and massive amounts of garbage cans, animals are in dumpster juice heaven here in the city: skunks, opossums, rats, squirrels, huge spiders, and the black cat who lives here and scares the living crap out of me everytime she darts around outside, holy cow, when is this going to end? I'm on edge all the time. The one thing I'd be happy to see running on the street: stray dogs! I feel like I'm living in the middle of a zoo.

On a happier note, I got to wear my new outfit today. So, I took a minute this morning to show you just how cool my "Surfing the Nations" t-shirt is. I'm home now and planning to take a quick snooze to try and get rid of my headache. 15 days until my nieces are in my arms!

2 comments:

Joy said...

so you're new to california huh? what part are you in? Don't freak out about the birds they're just harmless... They are pretty big though, but to tell you the truth when a raven flies overhead even my rabbit doesn't get freaked out! (lol) but it's ok you'll get used to it. have fun!

Amber said...

I'm in Torrance. What part are you in?