Friday, December 12, 2008

new record

6 hours!! No, not of sleep, not in a car, not working on a sermon. 6 hours IN STRAIGHT MEETINGS! Today was torture. The meetings were good and productive, but c'mon! 6 hours? I was checked out after 4, and cannot be held accountable to anything I said after that point, because I had completely lost it by then!

Unfortunately, because of all that meeting time, my sermon only got about 45 minutes worth of work. So, it looks like my day off this week is actually going to be a day on. Which is fine. I'm taking a day off next week when Karishma is here to make up for it! :)

My internal alarm went off at 5:25 a.m. We're going surfing. Bob and Luke were on another time line, so didn't get here until 6:00. No worries, it's just MY sleep! :) So, we drove down to the ocean, and there were NO waves. We drove back home, and I went back to bed. Talk about counterproductive.

These past few months, we've seen a steady decrease in attendance at GS. I hope I didn't let off a giant stink bomb when I got here or something! But seriously, it's concerning to all of us who have been working so hard to seek God's will for worship, sermons, music, and art. What are we missing? The financial series we're in has been intended to give people hope during this time of financial stress. We're offering tips on how to get out of debt, where our priorities should be, and helping people understand what kingdom spending looks like. I was so bummed to hear today that someone from church got so upset about this series, that they're actually leaving the church over it. Why are people like that? Rather than talking to the pastor, or seeking some answers, they just get pissed off and storm out. To any non-pastor people reading this: DON'T DO THAT! It's aggravating! How will a church know what the problem is if you simply walk out in a huff? A series that's meant to help people got twisted (in someones mind) into a plot to get money from the congregation. It's sad, that truly is not the intent. Really, one conversation about concerns could clear this whole thing up. But instead, one more droplet falls off the leaf. Sad.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh no!!! That's awful! :( I'm so saddened to hear that. I hope they reconsider and realize that it was with good intentions. Even if they felt pressured into giving, it's still their choice, and a four week series shouldn't affect their lifetime of worship. Very heartbreaking. :(