Tuesday, December 2, 2008

10 foot leash

A heavy fog rolled in over the land this morning, making it hard to see what kind of shape the waves had. My dad grabbed a chair and planned to sit and watch the surfing action! So, we drove down to the Avenues (too small), and finally decided the Cove would be our best bet. The only problem...when we arrived at the Cove, we couldn't see the waves because of the fog, so we trekked down the hill and crossed our fingers.

Brian and Marcus decided to take their surfboards down to a big patch of rocks and launch from there. This is really dangerous, as the crashing waves can throw you back into a wave if you go at the wrong time. I watched nervously from the shore. Once they made it safely, I continued my walk down the hill. Bob, the boys and I just walked into the rocky shore, and launched that way. The rocks aren't little pebbles. As the waves come in, the water pulls the rocks back out to sea, so often they hit your feet and cause you to trip. FUN!

We made it out safely, and much to my surprise, I didn't get tossed by too many waves. We were all sitting in a safe spot, when a huge set of waves came rolling in. We were all too far inside, and got madly tossed by the waves. All six of us were thrown from our boards and were faced with a whole bunch of large waves coming at us. Just when you think you're up to the surface and safe, another big wave pelts you and sends you flying. Brian brought me a 10 foot leash for me to use since the waves are getting bigger. Let me tell you...the longer the leash, the longer you are dragged under water. When a large wave comes, I typically abandon my board and try to dive under the waves. Only, these waves were really thick, so no matter how deep you got, they still picked you up and tossed you. I was getting really winded from fighting the waves. The bottom was solid rocks, none of which I was tall enough to reach, so I got no relief. So, I did what any tough surfer woman would do: I gave up after 25 minutes. :)

I was sad that I didn't actually stand on the board for my dad to see, but he got to see the guys riding a few instead. He understood how dangerous the situation was, and seemed a little relieved himself when I came paddling back to shore. The Cove is a truly beautiful place. Minus the danger of surfing there, it's a fun hike, and a beautiful view.

I worked most of the day. Dad took my car and drove up to Venice Beach and the Santa Monica Pier. Tonight, he treated Bill, Jane and I to supper for hosting him here. We ate at Marie Callendar's restaurant. Oreo cookie cream pie = YUM! Then we took a drive over to Reese Road (a neighborhood that decorates every house and tree in the area), it's straight out of a movie. When we drove back up to the Long's house, we decided it needs some Christmas spirit too. So, Bill and I went outside and mapped a plan of attack. Come Saturday afternoon I'll be turning in to my usual Clark Griswold self and heading up to the roof. The Christmas Cheer Committee has spoken. Another game of Apples to Apples (which I whooped up on) got us all ready for bed. Sleep tight!

1 comment:

dad said...

I can't wait to see how you light up the Long's house as you do to
all you come in contact with...
Remember that first strand was put
out by Jane & me.
Love You Dad