Friday, December 5, 2008

you look well

The 3 most endearing words I've heard all day came from Steve Cockram. "You Look Well!" Bless his heart for seeing through my layer of stress to the core of me. He's right, I'm well. Funny how I needed someone else to point that out in order for me to notice it. He's comparing the me I was at the beginning of September to the me I am now at the beginning of December. Can someone change for the better in such a short amount of time? Steve is here for the weekend doing a leadership training with some leaders from GS. He's extremely talented with Myers-Briggs and 5-Fold Ministry stuff. I'm trusting his time here will be powerful for everyone. Learning how I function can help me understand how I can work better with others, whether they function in the same way as me or not. Here's a rundown of what I learned so far today:

I am an ESFJ:

Extrovert, I get my energy from other people
Sensor, I am more of a settler, and like to take care of people where they are.
Feeling, I make a decision based on my emotions
Judging, I like deadlines, lists, and prefer things to be orderly and neat

I already knew this. What was even more insightful today was hearing that there are even more levels to the Myers-Briggs. I'm not going to go into too many details, but basically discovered that at my worst (baby stage) I become an intuitive thinker, where I begin to judge people, and often act irrationally, and say things about people that I wouldn't normally say, because I'm at the end of my rope. Whoa is that the truth! For the last two years, I feel as though I've been functioning in this baby stage way more often than I care to admit. Thank you, Luther Seminary. But, even better, I learned that at my best, I am an extroverted feeler who can openly express what I'm feeling emotionally without holding back. I'd say that's a good thing. Doesn't leave much to the imagination, but oh well!

Oh yeah, I tried learning to skateboard today. I'm hoping to skateboard to work soon, but need to get good with JUST ME on it before trying to carry a laptop as well. I rode it up and down the driveway for about 30 minutes, and I didn't fall once! Who would've known the Rocketdogs would come in so handy? The Luhmann's invited me out for supper tonight to Habit Burger. Another first for me. It's similar to In-N-Out, only "nicer." I prefer cheap burgers, so it wasn't any better in my mind. Closer, not better. Well, I'm off to bed in an attempt to kick this cold in the butt one final time.