Sunday, December 7, 2008

priorities

A running theme these last few weeks, and especially DAYS! What are mine, and also, what are the priorities of others?

Worship was great today. Awesome music, a Reel Story from someone who is really making God a priority in her life, seeing every person who prioritized God by BEING there.

I lead (what I thought) was a meaningful Bible Study today for one other person. We need to get people pumped up about adult education around here. At least one person had their priorities in line. I'm glad to say: it went well. Teaching went well. Thank you, God!

Via Serrento (worship at a retirement home) was good too. More people prioritizing church rather than sitting alone in their room or watching a football game, singing hymns even with my crazy guitar playing, and loving one another, prioritizing the relationships of others in connection with their relationship with God.

YAC time tonight, a wonderful outpouring of the broken, hurting, healing, busy, blessed, conflicted young adults at GS who prioritized spending 2 hours talking about silence and actually spending some time IN SILENCE. We watched another Rob Bell 'Nooma' video tonight that talked about cutting out the noise in our life (heard and seen) and talking to God. I'm thankful for everyone who made God a priority today.

I've been in a frazzle these last two days, threatening in my own mind to terminate relationships, threatening to give up on myself, and threatening to figure it out on my own. I spend more time hashing things out in my own mind than talking to God about them. As if I'll come to the solution on my own. How do I know what God is saying to me? How can I stop thinking for one minute so I might actually hear God? What can I cut out so I might truly hear the voice of God speaking into my life? Where are my priorities?

One of the young adults shared a visual tonight that was really helpful for me. She said, "God may very well be sitting there with God's arms crossed thinking 'whenever you're ready, I'm waiting'. " My calendar has been penciled in with every little task that I have to do so I don't forget. Why don't I take out a magic marker and write in some time with God? I wonder how different things would turn out if I seriously seeked God's guidance in my shitty situations rather than turning inward to find the answer!?

No comments: