Sunday, May 3, 2009

giddy-up!

Only at this internship site can they make me dress up like a Sheriff and gallop into church to welcome the people with a southern accent. I think this was my punishment for missing two Sunday's in a row. Fortunately, I enjoyed it. Dressing up like a cowgirl was fun. 5 different people outfitted me with all I'd need to pull it off: hat, flannel (real) riding shirt, badge, holster, disc shooter gun, a singing/head moving horse, and boots. As I galloped into the worship center, I pounded a few laps on my horse, let out a "yeehaw," and greeted everyone with a "howdy!" It took a few tries as most people didn't say howdy back the first time, but by the second time, they were smiling and said it like true southerners. All the running on my horse made me winded, as did talking like a southern cowgirl, so the whole welcome was me trying to catch my breath. Looks like I'm ready for the marathon-NOT!

I got to help lead kids' church this morning as well. I think the kids liked the apparel, and were very kind to my horse. Well, one kid punched her in the face, but for the most part, very loving. I brought my guitar and lead them in a few songs. They had never heard "I just wanna be a sheep!" Can you believe that? They loved it. Amazing how kids understand who the Holy Spirit is. They really got the concept of HS promptings in their life. A few of them even said they hear the HS telling them to stop lying, or being mean to people. Incredible for 1-2 graders!

Cindi invited me to be a part of a student ministries volunteer training today. A family/addiction psychiatrist from a nearby treatment center came to talk to the leaders about Life Hurts, God Heals (a 12 step program GS is doing with the students). I'm not directly connected with this program, but learned so much about how to help talk with, listen to, and guide students with addictive behaviors. I learned that 10% of people are genetically made up so that if they dabble with drugs, alcohol, cutting, eating disorders, they will very likely become addicted. Of course, others do too, but that 10% already has their genetic make up working against them. I'm not sure if my family has alcoholism running in it. Maybe it's another addiction. Shopaholism, overeating, and workaholism are all in there. I can see a few in my own life. How good it is to be aware of them and pay attention to where the hang-ups might be. "Enabling" was a new concept to me on the level in which Therese talked about it. Parenting was an example she used. Coddling children when they make mistakes, not making them deal with their problems is only setting them up for failure. She said grounding kids for mistakes isn't the way to deal with the problem either. Most kids really need help. Counseling might be the best thing for them. If your child has a sickness, you'd take them to the doctor. If your child has psychological sicknesses, they need a doctor. Glossing over the issue is called enabling. So interesting. Explains a lot in my life relationships.

A mad dash to Penguin's for an on location huddle with the young adults. I love these people. God has been working so mightily in them ever since I got here and I'm always amazed to see what they'll do next with God's leading. The whole badge & gun metaphor (God's authority and God's power) was really ringing in my head as we talked about the future of the young adult ministry after I leave. Whether they believe it or not, they've moved from good leaders, to outstanding leaders in a matter of 8 months and God has given them some incredible tools for them to use now. I can't wait to see what happens after I leave.

I'm writing this at 3:30 a.m. on Monday. I had to leave church at 7:10 as soon as my sheriff welcome was done. I had a major migraine and was hot and shaking. I came home, threw up and climbed into bed at 7:30. Needless to say, I'm wide awake right now. Fortunately, my headache is gone. My stomach is still a little uneasy. Sunday is the scheduled day for migraines. Long days of work, my eating schedule gets off, and I have very little rest. Dang. I'll go back to bed soon, but for now, I've been getting lots done with the house quiet and with the desire to just stay in bed and work.

2 comments:

Karishma said...

LOL, I LOVE the outfit! I think you make a very hot cowgirl :) GS is really kinda cool! :) I'm so glad you're able to have this experience. Sounds like it's setting up a foundation for the rest of your brilliant future!!!

I bet the kids loved your singing - I know I do :)

Amazingly, I seem to have filled my life with great friendships and most of us who counsel on a day-to-day basis. It's humbling when you see the differences you've been able to make in people's lives. And I bet you see that everyday! - so proud of everything you do :)

I'm sorry you're not doing so well :( What happened?? fever/chills/stomach upset?!?! Sending you warm, happy, loving thoughts to get you well soon!

PS On a side note - slumber party HECK YA!!!!!!!!!

Jodi said...

The girls were singing "I wanna be a sheep" all day.... I've never heard it before!!! As always, thanks for sharing your gifts with all ages at Good Shepherd. You amaze me! Feel better!!!

Jodi