Friday, May 1, 2009

juan juan salon

Haircuts...get your FREE haircuts. I love Craigslist. Not for buying Disneyland tickets, but it's good for other things. If you go to the health/beauty section on the LA website, there are oodles of stylist entrepreneurs who need models to come in and get free haircuts. Around here it's pretty easy to get invited to a sweet salon too. Each time I've gotten my haircut here, it's been for free (well, $15 once). Can you believe that? Today I drove up to Juan Juan Salon in Beverly Hills to meet with Natalie, a young 23 year old learning how to do hair. She was amazing. Sean, the owner of the salon would come over occasionally to offer her tips for my hair type. He told me I had "beautiful hair!" What a compliment. All the other women around me were getting extensions put in, so even Natalie said she was jealous I had such nice, long, and authentic hair!

I was waiting for some celebrity to walk in the door, as the salon faced Wilshire Blvd. directly across the street from Saks Fifth Avenue. I have to admit, parking in the Saks ramp, and walking to the salon, I got a little nervous. How obvious is it that I don't really belong here? Of course, I tried to dress as strange/trendy as I possibly could, resisting the urge to match, because let's face it, nobody on Rodeo drive color coordinates. Surprisingly, they treated me very well. My stylist was a doll and very kind. Even Sean was a good teacher as he offered suggestions and feedback.

While I was up in the area, I stopped at the Beverly Hills sign I'd been dying to take a picture by, and I booked a photo shoot at the Santa Monica Library. I only got publicly shamed once as a lady came and yelled at me asking if I had permission to shoot. Nope. There were tons of people reading quietly as she shouted. No need to draw attention to the lady standing on the chair with the camera. Oops. So, all I had to do was go ask somebody and they let me continue on. No need to shame.

It's Friday night, with a fresh hair cut, I had to curl it up to the way I like it and take a few pictures. It always curls the best the day it gets cut. So, I'm bored and had nothing better to do. One piece of exciting news I received tonight came from my friend Mollie who called to share that she had gotten engaged! Very exciting. Congrats!

3 comments:

Karishma said...

you've always had beautiful hair! i'm so jealous, but i love you anyway. love the new look too :) your pictures are adorable as always! miss u :)

Anonymous said...

Cute haircut Amber!

Lynda said...

I'm new at this. I didn't mean to be anonymous! Lynda